Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

What should I do about this minor CSJ read alignment issue?

• The tire dealer is correct. You're fine so long as you do regular rotations.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You need to replace the Rear Suspension Arm(s)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from my trusted tire dealer. I had just put on a set of tires and wanted to make sure that the wheel alignment was okay.

I had the CSJ recall done about 14 months ago.

They looked puzzled when they called me to the counter and showed me a pic of the stickers that Toyota put on there for the recall.

It seems as if the rear Toe is barely out of spec, but they couldn't adjust it. I have uploaded and attached the sheet for you to look at. They told me that everything should be okay so long as I do regular rotations, which I do criss-cross rotations faithfully every 5000 miles.

THe front end, by the way, was right on. My tire dealer didn't charge me anything for this visit.

So, RAV4 friends, do you agree or disagree with my tire dealers diagnosis? I am trying to set up a poll for this. Let's see how it goes. If it doesn't work, just reply to the thread.

I don't have the money to buy new ones and it appears as if I am out of toyota's warranty for this recall.

Thanks,
Videot

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@focus123, I have read the Bulletin several times. Perhaps I am being too literal, but I do not see where they provide a procedure for a rear alignment without having to replace the rear arm(s).

It does provide the specifications for the rear alignment and if it is out of spec, it says,
If the rear toe alignment is still out of specification on either side, replace the
Rear Suspension Arm No. 1 and complete campaign CSJ again for any
replaced rear suspension arm.

And CSJ is where they provide a procedure for adjusting the alignment before applying the epoxy.

I may be taking this too literally (I have a tendency to do that in life), so please let me know if I am wrong, or if I have missed something.

It also appears as if I am out of warranty on this campaign, since I am past 12 months on it.

Thanks,
Videot

·
Registered
935 Posts
@focus123, I have read the Bulletin several times. Perhaps I am being too literal, but I do not see where they provide a procedure for a rear alignment without having to replace the rear arm(s).

It does provide the specifications for the rear alignment and if it is out of spec, it says,
If the rear toe alignment is still out of specification on either side, replace the
Rear Suspension Arm No. 1 and complete campaign CSJ again for any
replaced rear suspension arm.

And CSJ is where they provide a procedure for adjusting the alignment before applying the epoxy.

I may be taking this too literally (I have a tendency to do that in life), so please let me know if I am wrong, or if I have missed something.

It also appears as if I am out of warranty on this campaign, since I am past 12 months on it.

Thanks,
Videot
6. Loosen the nuts and bolts on the Rear Suspension Arm No. 1 on both sides and jounce
the vehicle
A. If the rear toe alignment is within specification, tighten the nuts and bolts on
the Rear Suspension Arm No. 1.
Torque: Bolt: 90 N*m (918 kgf*cm, 66 ft*lbf)
Torque: Nut: 100 N*m (1,020 kgf*cm, 74 ft*lbf)
NOTE: Turn the bolt to tighten the
nut on the rear suspension member
side. Do NOT turn the nut.

I had this done by the dealer for free which put the toe within specs. I was however within 12 months of first having the recall, still worth a shot to see if they will do it on good will.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
6. Loosen the nuts and bolts on the Rear Suspension Arm No. 1 on both sides and jounce
the vehicle
A. If the rear toe alignment is within specification, tighten the nuts and bolts on
the Rear Suspension Arm No. 1.
Torque: Bolt: 90 N*m (918 kgf*cm, 66 ft*lbf)
Torque: Nut: 100 N*m (1,020 kgf*cm, 74 ft*lbf)
NOTE: Turn the bolt to tighten the
nut on the rear suspension member
side. Do NOT turn the nut.

I had this done by the dealer for free which put the toe within specs. I was however within 12 months of first having the recall, still worth a shot to see if they will do it on good will.
Oh ok. I guess I was being too literal! :surprise
I guess this will help any other literalists who come along!

Thanks,
Videot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts