Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am looking to buy a 2006, rav4,6cyl,limited. the only question i have is how do other owners feel about that rear door swinging out as opposed to opening upwards? whats your experience with that type of door? thanks

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can someone explain why Toyota can't produce the RAV4 with a rear door that swings away from the curb for the United States.

I know the new Cruiser FJ will have a rear door that swigs open away from the curb. Why produce a car for the U.S. that has a rear door that swings toward the curb ?

Baffled by this and irked...

Becks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it really that big of an issue? When you open the driver's side door, you're intruding further into traffic for longer than you would be by standing to the left and quickly opening the cargo door.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
thats NOT what tank is saying. He is saying that IF you open the door away from the burb al the way you will block the left tailight and quite possably at night an oncoming car may not see the car hitting you and the car.
BIG libility issue

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys..point well made. However why is Toyota producing the FJ with a rear door that swings away from the curb. I don't mena to be argumentative...its just baffling.

Yes a flip up glass similar to the Cruiser FJ would be nice.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Toyota's official story is that the right-swinging door makes it easier to open for right-handed people. However, the more believable reason is that it's just a cost issue on Toyota's part - they don't want to have to build two versions of the door. As was pointed out the new FJ Cruiser has a door that opens the other way, as does the Jeep Liberty.

To answer tmtc's question, I don't like the swinging door. It's large, fairly heavy, and requires more space behind the vehicle to open fully than a hatch does. A small point is that a hatch can give you and your stuff some protection from rain while you're loading or unloading - not so with the big door. To me the door is one of the RAV4's biggest drawbacks, but it wouldn't prevent me from buying another one.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'm sure it has the most to do with cost also, since the Rav4 is a global market vehicle, having a different door for one region probably would be quite an expense. The FJ may have a light in the end of the door, that remains to be seen. I don't know how many countires they plan to launch it in, but it seems to be more of a US target vehicle, so it makes sense they would design primarily for that market.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Why the door swings open instead of up; because the spare tire would make it too heavy for the door to swing up.

Why does the door swing right instead of left; who knows, maybe the engineers flipped a coin on that one. :lol:

I for one do not care which way the door swings open. It's like when you put on a pair of pants; doesn't matter if you put your left or right leg in first, it still gets the job done. :D

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
ALL good and totally valid points guys.. Another thing to consider.. The flip UP hatches's gas lift supports are VERY big and very expensive to replace. And when they DO go bad most people will not be able to get in the back of they vehicles.. OR if you ever had one fall onto you.. you will not soon forget how heavy these doors are..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
flyingn said:
thats NOT what tank is saying. He is saying that IF you open the door away from the burb al the way you will block the left tailight and quite possably at night an oncoming car may not see the car hitting you and the car.
BIG libility issue
I was just addressing the problem brought up by becks about the door opening one way vs. the other. I don't think opening the way it does is any more of a hassle than opening the other way would be.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
flyingn said:
ALL good and totally valid points guys.. Another thing to consider.. The flip UP hatches's gas lift supports are VERY big and very expensive to replace. And when they DO go bad most people will not be able to get in the back of they vehicles.. OR if you ever had one fall onto you.. you will not soon forget how heavy these doors are..
Gas struts last a fairly long time, and when they do go it tends to be slowly, so the number of people being maimed by hatch doors falling on them is probably low. On the other hand, I've had the bigger, even heavier rear swinging door on our RAV4 blow closed on me in the wind more than once. Maybe the newer ones are better at staying open, but it's a concern.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess the primary reason for considering which way the door swings has to do with curbside loading. As one approches the vehicle from the sidewalk with items to load, it would seem that it would be easier to have the door swing away from you.

Thanks for all your responses to a mute point.

TankdOg is correct about about the FJ. It is a U.S. and Asia bound vehicle only. At least from what I have read about it.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tmtc said:
am looking to buy a 2006, RAV4,6cyl,limited. the only question i have is how do other owners feel about that rear door swinging out as opposed to opening upwards? whats your experience with that type of door? thanks
I love having the side swinging door. I had a minivan, and I couldn't reach the door that swung open to close it (especially if I was on a slope...aka, our driveway). I also like the looks of it...plus, it is different. I like having the rear tire mounted...and, I don't mind not having the rear window open. In our old RAV we had to carry 2 x 4's home...I just put them crooked and hung the front part out of my passenger's window.

I like it on the right because...well, I'm right handed. I don't park in the street...so, this is not an issue for me.

I use the cargo area EVERY day! I put my notebook, my briefcase (on wheels), my groceries...etc...etc...in there. The cargo area is used 100x more than my backseat. Having the side-swinging door is simply easier for me! :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ravishing....I had to smile the entire time I read your post.... :D

I have 2 little girls and I gush about them with the same intensity.

bEcKs

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
?????

i still haven't heard anyone say good or bad about the swing out rear door

1 - 20 of 30 Posts