Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I want to flush the system & I know I have the red stuff in there. It's it perfectly safe to use the green stuff?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The color doesn't matter - what is important is to use coolant which meets Toyota specs, should be listed in the Owner's Manual. The usual requirement is to use coolant which is non-silicate, non-borate, non-amine, and non-nitrate. A number of coolants (anti-freeze) meet these requirements, one must be certain to read the labels.

Reactions: joeshark

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I made a short google check for coolants without non-silicate, non-borate, non-amine, and non-nitrate are best.

These are:
1. Toyota Super Long Life
2. Zerex (Asian)
3. Amsoil

Correct me if I'm wrong, their might be more. The Zerex is made by Valvoline which is Toyota's supplier. DON'T USE SHELL ANTI-FREEZE.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Since you are doing this, check this out. I've always asked myself: Why my Water Pump has never failed. I've seen MANY RAV4.1 owners that their Water Pump has given up causing a lot of cooling problems. This video that you will see, I've done it ever spring, just before the hot season in PR. Works for me. The other RAV4.1 owners just use water, that's a mistake. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. How much is required of the pre mix, when doing full flush?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Seems like I heard somewhere here that is NOT a good idea to do the flush as it strips away a protective layer on the internal workings of the radiator and heater. Is that Internet Bunk?:confused:

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Seems like I heard somewhere here that is NOT a good idea to do the flush as it strips away a protective layer on the internal workings of the radiator and heater. Is that Internet Bunk?:confused:

What sort of "protective layer" is that advice referring to? That "layer" isn't protective and is the gunk which is interfering with the proper operation of the cooling system by insulating the system from performing the heat exchange which is necessary for the system to do its job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The flush will strip away any radiator stop-leak additives. If in the past, you added stop leak to stop/slow down a minor leak, flushing will result in your minor leak returning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts