Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this was brought up before but Im not sure.. If you hit the 'auto' button, does your ac automatically come on no matter how cold it is outside? Ours does even when its 30 degrees out.. Is this a defualt setting on the auto feature? You would think to save gas the ac would only come on above a certain outdoor temp, like 45-50 degrees whrn the humidity starts rising.

E

·
0 Posts
Re: question to limited owners about automatic climate contr

flyingn said:
I think this was brought up before but Im not sure.. If you hit the 'auto' button, does your ac automatically come on no matter how cold it is outside? Ours does even when its 30 degrees out.. Is this a defualt setting on the auto feature? You would think to save gas the ac would only come on above a certain outdoor temp, like 45-50 degrees whrn the humidity starts rising.
In my Lexus GS400, when the temp gets low, the AC is on automatically to keep the windows free from fogging up.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that but in 30 degree temps the air outside is so dry that fogging will not be a problem usually. Besides at that temp the low ambient temp switch will not allow the compressor to cycle for more then a few seconds anyway..

·
Registered
179 Posts
My 02 camry has the auto climate control; in that car when you press "auto" the a/c light is always on, but the manual says that there is a temperature sensor which will keep the a/c compressor turned off if the temp is below 35 or 40 or so.

·
Registered
150 Posts
According to the big manual, the auto control is supposed to control whether the AC is on or off. When it doesn't think it needs it, it shuts it off. Although the auto control is kind of loud when you first run the car -- it tries to catch up the temp in a hurry! -- I love it. I have not touched those countrols in two weeks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have had this feature on my last two cars, an STS and a BMW I think the principle is going to be the same. When you push AUTO and leave it there all the time, just adjust the temperature setting. If it's really cold out the fan will not kick on, until the water temp gets warm enough to blow warm air. In really hot weather, the fan jumps to high regardless. It will blow hot out side air into the cabin, untill the duct lines clear. The A/C comprssor runs all the time, unless you shut off the A/C.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Joshi, I could be wrong of course but I don't think it's going to shut off the AC. It's always better and quicker in the DEFROST mode to have the AC compressor running.

M

·
0 Posts
In my sienna the AC doesnt come on no matter what, but in the Rav4 it does. You can shut it off without disrupting the auto climate though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts