Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the catalytic converter on a 2001 Rav4 today (not difficult at all, just bring your patience for a pair of hard-to-reach bolts; I will post a DIY with pictures later in the week so you can save some money, too!).

But I now tonight have conflicting information on the torque spec for the five nuts that hold the catalytic converter to the exhaust manifold.

I have this document, which appears to be from an FSM and which indicates 27 ft-lbs, but I also have another source that indicates 36 ft-lbs. Which is it for the '01 (1AZFE)?

There is a gasket between these surfaces, so I want to be sure I have the bolts torqued correctly! Can anyone with an '01 Factory Service Manual please confirm the torque spec? A million thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
11,098 Posts
The numbers on your diagram are inconsistent. Typically they are listed as n-m (in-Lbs, ft-Lbs), 37 (375, 27) in this case, and 37 N-m does = 27 ft-lbs but 375 in-Lbs = 37 ft-lbs not 27 so who knows which is correct. The other one shown, 45 (450, 33) doesn't figure either since 450 in-lbs = 38 ft-lbs.

I typically tighten most bolts by feel and I'd bet that'd end up being be mid 30s in this case. I just had my Accord heads off to replace bent valves and only used a torque wrench on the head and intake manifold bolts where they had to be tightened in stages and in a specific pattern. The manifold ones got tightened "tight."

Reactions: demoder

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The numbers on your diagram are inconsistent. Typically they are listed as n-m (in-Lbs, ft-Lbs), 37 (375, 27) in this case, and 37 N-m does = 27 ft-lbs but 375 in-Lbs = 37 ft-lbs not 27 so who knows which is correct. The other one shown, 45 (450, 33) doesn't figure either since 450 in-lbs = 38 ft-lbs.
Dyno -- my bad, I should have posted the key with that zoom-in: the second unit is actually kgf-cm on this diagram, not in-lbs. I agree that usually the second units are in-lbs, but perhaps this is a European FSM (I don't know -- I only have this). Here's the full shot:

Thanks for the tip on getting them snug. There's one bolt (bottom passenger side) that is a little tricky to fasten, and that one certainly is "by feel" for me because I can't get a torque measuring tool in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you

Dear All,

Thanks for the description regrading tightening torque. I want to replace mine at this weekend on my 2003/10 Rav4 II 1AZFE.

@Demonder:
As you mentioned in your first post, you will create a step by step guide with pictures about converter replacement. Is it possible to find that somewhere in the forum already?

Furthermore, i have a short question regarding the gasket:
Unfortunately i dont know , is it necessary to use any sealing paste on the gasket which is between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter? (Or the only thing is to put the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter and tigthening the screws with right torque?

Thank you for the help.

BR.

·
Registered
70 Posts
@denver3
I don't know if there's a special exhaust paste for catalytic converters but usually you never use an exhaust jointing paste "in front" of a catalytic converter,
the chemicals used in the exhaust paste can cause premature failure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@denver3
I don't know if there's a special exhaust paste for catalytic converters but usually you never use an exhaust jointing paste "in front" of a catalytic converter,
the chemicals used in the exhaust paste can cause premature failure.
Good to know, thanks for the info. In this case i'll not use any paste.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dear All,

Thanks for the description regrading tightening torque. I want to replace mine at this weekend on my 2003/10 Rav4 II 1AZFE.

@Demonder:
As you mentioned in your first post, you will create a step by step guide with pictures about converter replacement. Is it possible to find that somewhere in the forum already?

Furthermore, i have a short question regarding the gasket:
Unfortunately i dont know , is it necessary to use any sealing paste on the gasket which is between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter? (Or the only thing is to put the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter and tigthening the screws with right torque?

Thank you for the help.

BR.
Denver3, I might be able to get the DIY done tonight or tomorrow night -- I just haven't had too much time lately! It is a pretty straight-forward job. The trickiest part is figuring out how to get that lower bracket off.

Regarding the gaskets: no, there is no need to use any sealants or pastes anywhere. The top part of the catalytic converter mates to the exhaust manifold with a flat gasket, and that connection is maintained by the nuts. The lower part of the converter connects to the exhaust pipe with a spherical gasket, and is secured in place with two spring-clamped bolts.

I would suggest replacing both gaskets when you do the job -- not re-using the old ones. The only special tools you will need are:

22-mm Oxygen Sensor socket (such as this one).
12-mm deep socket, and a 14-mm deep socket is useful but not necessary
anti-seize for the sensor threads
PB Blaster or any other type of penetrating oil to get the nuts and bolts free, if rusted/corroded

I'll try to at least post some pictures later today, and I will PM you when I get that done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First of all, thank you for the answer.

I agree with the bracket would be only problematic based on your description. So i have to figure out how could i remove it.

Thanks for the confirmation, i will not use any paste on the gaskets.

Fortunately, with the new converter i got brand new gaskets and screws too, so ill use the new set indeed.

Thanks for the list, tools are already collected.

If you have other activity or haven't free time to post no problem, i hope as you wrote it will be "a pretty straight-forward job" .

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First of all, thank you for the answer.

I agree with the bracket would be only problematic based on your description. So i have to figure out how could i remove it.

Thanks for the confirmation, i will not use any paste on the gaskets.

Fortunately, with the new converter i got brand new gaskets and screws too, so ill use the new set indeed.

Thanks for the list, tools are already collected.

If you have other activity or haven't free time to post no problem, i hope as you wrote it will be "a pretty straight-forward job" .

Thanks a lot.
Denver3, I just posted the DIY. You can find it here:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/88-...4-2-catalytic-converter-f-oxygen-sensors.html

Good luck and I hope the job goes well for you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts