Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have been looking at the RAV4 hybrid, Subaru Forester 2.0XT Turbo and Hyundai Tucson 1.6LT. I currently have a 2012 Tacoma and am looking for something with more passing power at freeway speeds, decent off-road capability and cargo space for the dog. I've test driven all 3 which just made me even more unsure of what to get.

For the RAV4 Hybrid I wanted to know how it does at freeway speeds for power and also MPG. Majority of my drive the speed limit is about 80 MPH and I typically do 85-90 (Utah and Colorado Freeways). I'll be doing commuting between Salt Lake City and Glenwood Springs CO every other weekend and also a 45 minute commute for work each day one way. My biggest concerns are how the RAV4 does at freeway speeds and the gas mileage associated at those speeds along with passing power.

The forester 2.0XT I have seen mixed things about gas mileage with most leading to believe it gets on the lower side for average fuel economy. The Hyundai Tucson I enjoyed driving and not having a CVT was great as well. However I don't know how they hold up long term and their resale values.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have you considered the Mazda CX-5? It should be a contender.

The Toyota will have the best resale value and reliability. The Subaru will have the worst mileage and the highest oil consumption but will be the fastest by far. The Hyundai powertrain is too new to know its reliability. Some love that DCT but almost as many hate it.

Other than these opinions, I really can't help you. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you considered the Mazda CX-5? It should be a contender.

The Toyota will have the best resale value and reliability. The Subaru will have the worst mileage and the highest oil consumption but will be the fastest by far. The Hyundai powertrain is too new to know its reliability. Some love that DCT but almost as many hate it.

Other than these opinions, I really can't help you. Good luck.
I test drive the CX-5 and enjoyed it but the dealership left a bad taste in my mouth with how pushy they were and also highly unknowledgeable, tried telling me that it didn't have ABS because it has disk brakes... I'll have to look at it a bit more though.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
have you looked at the new Tacoma, it has a newer 3.5 V6, and a 6 speed automatic, a coworker has one and gets way better mileage then his past 3 tacomas did...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased the 2016 RAV4 XLE Hybrid. I am averaging 32.1 MPG in mixed city/highway driving. The car has plenty of pep and easily hit 90 MPH passing. For greater pep it has a sport mode, which is supposed to give better acceleration. I have found no need to use it in sport mode.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have considered it but want something a little more comfortable for commuting as well as more room for passengers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently purchased the 2016 RAV4 XLE Hybrid. I am averaging 32.1 MPG in mixed city/highway driving. The car has plenty of pep and easily hit 90 MPH passing. For greater pep it has a sport mode, which is supposed to give better acceleration. I have found no need to use it in sport mode.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info! I will be commuting 5.5 hrs every other weekend. Does anyone know what the MPG's are doing 80-90 consistently?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Majority of my drive the speed limit is about 80 MPH and I typically do 85-90 (Utah and Colorado Freeways).
You have almost nothing to gain from the HV model. Consider the gas powered model or something else.
From my understanding the Hybrid still has more power and it's not like I won't be driving around town as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Short of info from someone that drives in your conditions, you can compare drag coefficients, the Rav4 is .31, both the Forester and Tucson are .33, a 2016 Prius is .24 for a comparison of about as good as it gets.

Can't help ya for that speed, max limit on interstates here is 65-70mph.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
From my understanding the Hybrid still has more power and it's not like I won't be driving around town as well.
It has no more power available at 85mph than the gas model. Above 70mph its pretty much just another 4-banger, with the exception of the eCVT providing more flexibility.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You might want to consider that in a RAV4 Hybrid, the cargo area, when the seats are down, is quite sloped. My dogs have trouble keeping their footing. My littlest dog couldn't keep her footing and peed (thankfully on the rubber mat; no harm done). If you are keeping the rear seats upright, and putting your dog in the cargo area... the floor is flat and you shouldn't have this problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You might want to consider that in a RAV4 Hybrid, the cargo area, when the seats are down, is quite sloped. My dogs have trouble keeping their footing. My littlest dog couldn't keep her footing and peed (thankfully on the rubber mat; no harm done). If you are keeping the rear seats upright, and putting your dog in the cargo area... the floor is flat and you shouldn't have this problem.
I did notice that. I have a large lab so that shouldn't be an issue but not fond of the little hump where the storage compartment is.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you wondered why only 37 minutes... I reset it after fueled up on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a 14 XT. Very good car but I'm getting a rav4 hybrid because of ACC and fuel consumption and interiour refinement.

The XT takes alot of fuel before getting warmed up (first 7-8 miles). If you baby it at 55 mph you can get 40mpg on premium fuel. It falls rapidly above 70mph though. This turbo car is very sensitive and if you dont eco drive it it will take alot of fuel.

The 2.0 engine takes no oil whatsoever I dont even bother checking anymore.

Forester really delivers in extreme driving conditions such as fast driving on black ice or wading through snow.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts