Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get too ahead of anything ;
I have no intention of swapping to a 3sgte.
I only want minimal boost, under 8-10 PSI considering from reading around people claiming the 3sfe does not handle too much PSI before you're into the blowing engine category haha.

What I'm asking is if anyone has successfully done this install on a 98 RAV4 and if so what parts did They use, etc.

A steer in the right direction would be much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
IMO 8-10 psi isn't minimal boost by any means. The math says 8 psi = 8/15 = 53% more power and 10/15 = 67% more. I highly doubt a stock engine would stay together long with that much boost.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
IMO 8-10 psi isn't minimal boost by any means. The math says 8 psi = 8/15 = 53% more power and 10/15 = 67% more. I highly doubt a stock engine would stay together long with that much boost.
Let's start a business. I'll make easily installed over-boosting turbos and you replace their engines. We can hire high school students to sweep the roads of the oil and debris.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Considering the 3sfe has been turboed before by people it would be pretty ignorant to believe every single 3sfe blew as a result. In fact I would love to hear the statistic :) thank you guys for the input though.

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
I highly doubt a stock engine would stay together long with that much boost.
Considering the 3sfe has been turboed before by people it would be pretty ignorant to believe every single 3sfe blew as a result.
Note I said a stock engine couldn't handle that much boost. Of course with turbo-dollars you could modify any engine to any power level you want. But anyone ignorant enough to try 8-10 psi boost on a stock engine would smarten up real quick.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok ok I maybe was a little optimistic thinking 8-10....just a little bit :p but I?ve been looking around a little more and from what people say a 3sgte turbo manifold will bolt up and using a c26 turbo. Maybe aiming for closer to 6PSI is more realistic in your opinion?

·
Super Moderator
10,128 Posts
Ok ok I maybe was a little optimistic thinking 8-10....just a little bit :p but I?ve been looking around a little more and from what people say a 3sgte turbo manifold will bolt up and using a c26 turbo. Maybe aiming for closer to 6 PSI is more realistic in your opinion?
The correct approach would be to install a turbo capable of 8 psi but set the wastegate somewhere around 3-4. Then turn it up gradually and carefully until the engine blows. :egad:
Then back it off 1 psi and you'll have the correct max boost. :cheers:

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Woah woah woah now, that?s bad ju ju!!! Didn?t you know these engines can?t hold boost? You mind as well consider it done before you even begin. There is a 0% chance it?ll work my friend. 3sfe is a no go for turbo, the community has spoken. ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts