Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Rav4 with 2.0 VVT-i engine. The Trani Oil Cooler on my car is located in the radiator. Its obvious because the incoming and return line go from the trani to the bottom left hand corner of the radiator. I do not have this "hockey puck" oil cooler found on some other 4.2's.

1. DL175 (member) has a 2005 Rav4 with the hockey puck oil cooler. Was the trani oil cooler revised on the 4.2's? Which one is better?

2. I was planning on bypassing the OEM oil cooler and installing the B&M 70268, good idea anyone?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so after doing some research I MIGHT know why Toyota changed there trani oil cooler design on the 4.2's. It is my belief that the older radiators design might have had the "milkshake" problem. If not with this radiator, than other radiators on other Toyota models. Hence why Toyota went with the "hockey puck" trani cooler on later 4.2's.

Also, it seems like it is BEST to use the stock trani oil cooler inline with the secondary aftermarket oil cooler for warm up purposes. But is that really true? Hot radiator fluid doesn't start flowing till engines becomes hot.
If you have the old style OEM oil trani cooler and you decide to bypass it, does the low pressure drop system in the B&M oil cooler do an adequate job at helping warm up trani?

Can anyone with experience on early 4.2's tell me the BEST mechanical way to really warm up trani and keep it cool reliably?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
The transmission cooler just cools the transmission oil. It does not warm the oil. You will not have problems with oil flow since the B & M also has a bypass valve.
You will be fine to hook the return line from the factory tranny cooler to the B & M oil cooler.

The only time you would worry about oil flow is if you put too large of a transmission cooler and live in an area with very cold winters. But if you live in the Lower Mainland you should be ok with the B & M.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't mean to seem rude, but it seems logical that in colder weather, the OEM oil cooler does help warm up the ATF at initial start up. The ATF line passes straight through coolant.

After calling a few Toyota dealerships, they all reported that the radiators in 4.2's very very seldom experience the milkshake effect.

So my conclusion on the best way to heat up trani and cool it down is to connect secondary cooler in line with the OEM one. This will provide cooling in all situation and heating up of trani during initial startup in colder conditions, such as being up at a ski hill in the interior of BC.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Just hook the return line coming from the factory cooler into the B & M cooler and the other end back to the transmission. The return line is carrying oil that is cooled down by the factory transmission cooler back to the transmission. When you hook the return line to the B & M cooler it cools it a second time.

Transmission oil normally takes longer to heat up in the winter. There is no need to worry about the oil under heating unless you have a huge transmission cooler and extremely cold temperatures.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roger, over & out

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I just found out Hayden have coolers with a thermal bypass. Read here. The models include 696,697,698, and 699. Lowest prices I found was at Rockauto.

The Hayden Automotive Internal Pressure By-Pass Coolers, Nos. 696, 697, 698 and 699, allow the vehicle’s transmission to reach optimum operating temperature quickly by routing the fluid around the by-pass channel of the cooler until the fluid temperature increases. The patented design help vehicles in colder climates reach proper operating temperatures faster, which improves fuel economy and helps reduce friction of internal components, according to the company. It incorporates an integrated valve that eliminates the need for external valves and additional plumbing at installation. The item is available in four sizes to fit a wide range of applicationss. The cooler brackets come pre-drilled for easy mounting and include all hardware necessary for installation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts