Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm recently checked out '99 Rav4 with 83k miles and had a couple questions before pulling the trigger.

So the one I looked at was a manual transmission, and at around 2500 rpm in second gear there was a strange whining noise/vibration. Is this normal? It seemed to go away at higher RPM, so I'm almost thinking it was a natural resonance of the car. A quick search told me the repair could be anything from an oil change to a new engine so I figured I'd ask. The timing belt was done last fall, which may rule out the potential timing belt tensioner issues.

Second, the clutch is super light and grabs very low. I come from a sports car background (think aftermarket racing clutches), so maybe I'm just not used to the lighter feel. It almost felt spongy and was difficult to tell the grabbing point. Is that a sign of potential problems? Does it just need to be bled?

Are there any other key problems I should be on the look out for?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Bob! Just recently bought a 1998 RAV4 that had a manual transmission as well. Based on my experience, I don't have any whining/vibration @2500RPM or any RPM under 1500 for that matter. I would recommend changing the oil if the owner doesn't mind, and seeing if that makes a difference. The one your viewing is a 1999, so I don't know if that makes a difference. In regards to the clutch, I think that's the way Toyota designed it, because my clutch catches at a low point as well and I have had the car for 7000+miles and had no problems with the clutch or shifting. Hope it all works out as that's pretty low miles for a 99! Let us know if you get it!

·
Registered
412 Posts
It could be BELTS!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts