Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year the original Japan battery died, on wife's 2008 RAV4 Limited v6.
Got my tools out & discover a diagonal piece of stamped steel, holding battery down.
- it needs to come off & it was freezing cold outside
- a piece of black plastic shroud (4 feet wide), was hiding one nut, that needed removed
- fearful of breaking a few plastic clips, and wanting to make future battery changes easier
- I located the hidden nut
- center punched & used a small drill on it
- next I loaded my DeWalt 20V Drill with a carbide flat bottom end mill, type of deburring tool
- enlarged hole to approx. 3/4" diameter...sufficient enough for the 10mm socket to fir on the nut

After a new AGM Battery (glass mat technology) was installed, with a full 5 year warranty / the nut needed to be reinstalled, in the blind hole.
- I used a magnet to fish the nut in place & tighten it up

^^ A small hole modification, that easily made a repair job, into something much smaller.
- and will pay off again, in years to come

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
The shroud is very easy to remove. My 2008 is on its 4th battery. The heat seems to get to them down here, especially the V6. Anyway, to remove the shroud, just pop out the plastic fasteners:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Last year the original Japan battery died, on wife's 2008 RAV4 Limited v6.
Got my tools out & discover a diagonal piece of stamped steel, holding battery down.
- it needs to come off & it was freezing cold outside
- a piece of black plastic shroud (4 feet wide), was hiding one nut, that needed removed
- fearful of breaking a few plastic clips, and wanting to make future battery changes easier
- I located the hidden nut
- center punched & used a small drill on it
- next I loaded my DeWalt 20V Drill with a carbide flat bottom end mill, type of deburring tool
- enlarged hole to approx. 3/4" diameter...sufficient enough for the 10mm socket to fir on the nut

After a new AGM Battery (glass mat technology) was installed, with a full 5 year warranty / the nut needed to be reinstalled, in the blind hole.
- I used a magnet to fish the nut in place & tighten it up

^^ A small hole modification, that easily made a repair job, into something much smaller.
- and will pay off again, in years to come
Dang, 9 years on a battery?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shroud is very easy to remove. My 2008 is on its 4th battery. The heat seems to get to them down here, especially the V6. Anyway, to remove the shroud, just pop out the plastic fasteners:

Thks. JuneBug, the clip photos, look like they press in / to release & remove.
Out side, in the cold driveway- at -10F plus a wind chill factor:
- I was trying to pop a fastener / not knowing how to release them.

I stand corrected, it will be 2 years this summer the battery was changed (in year 2015)
So considering the RAV4 is a 2008, original Toyota battery went 7 years...pretty darn good.
In Canada, in current battery of choice is:
- MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra AGM Automotive Batteries feature the latest advancement in automotive batteries- AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) technology
- their AGM batteries--Spiral*, Flat Plate*, and XD Pure Lead** all have a 5yr replacement warranty with NO pro-rated period.
I use to buy Optima battery and had two that lasted 9-10 years / but their USA operations, went to Mexico and these are now over-priced crap.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
I like the modification. Although it is simple to remove the plastic it's still a pain in the butt. Well done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts