Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the weekend that just passed, I had put Oil into the Rav4 because it was a little low... and low and behold, I forgot to put the cap back on the engine before taking off... and I didnt notice til after I had gotten home, after driving 300+KM without the cap on, now i notice that there is oil all under the hood, like on parts and on the firewall and near the battery... is it a bad thing if i dont wash the oil out of there? or is it just gonna be a real nasty smell when I start it up and run it for a while.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've done that before. Not on the RAV but on my 2500 Ram. I just wiped down as much as I could with paper towels and all was well. If you happened to get some oil on some exhaust pieces that you can't reach to clean, it may stink and litle bit but it will disipate.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would it be bad if i like pressure washed the engine area or could i use a garden hose to do the trick, or would getting water anywhere mess anything up>

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'd be more concerned with how much oil was left in the engine.....down a quart/litre or more????? Oil pressure senders, in general, are known for not showing low pressure until down to 5 or 10 lbs which is hard on main bearings, etc....... :cry:

BTW....around here it's known by some as the "710" cap... :lol: :lol: ......think about it....... :lol: :lol:

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
theres still like half a thing of oil left in the engine itself so thats all good i guess

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mohit said:
Um, not really. If the dip stick reads half you'd want to top up the oil straight away.
Wow. Kinda shocked that we even have to post that one, but yeah, fill her back up.

I would stay away from high pressure washes. A low pressure wash after covering up the essential electronic parts might be okay. But remember oil and water do not mix. simply spraying down an oil soaked engine isn't gonna get you too far unless you degrease it first. Full strenght simple green would do the trick.

How about posting a pick to let us see how bad it is. You may be geting you boxers in a bunch for no reason

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its probably not that bad, its just a little on the back near the firewall, and like it went down a little but nothing like covering the entire engine area

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
k well its clean now, but, when i go to check to oil right after putting in half a litre of oil, it doesnt show up.. how long should I wait.. should i take it for a little drive first?

·
Registered
685 Posts
NO!!! Don't take it for a drive or run it till the oil level is back to full mark!!!
Sounds like you lost more oil than you originally thought!!!! Slowly add oil, about a half litre at a time, waiting about 15 minutes between each add as it takes time to reach the oil pan when cold. Take note of how much oil in total you have to add to get back to normal and let us know how much you add in total.......
AND don't over fill it!!!
Don't know specifics of Toyota motor, but I'd say if you have to add over 2 litres, you "may" have damaged the engine.......time will tell..... :? You best check your oil level and consumption for a while......
G/L

BTW: What you've posted makes me wonder if you're checking the oil level correctly......
With motor off for a couple of minutes at least, pull dipstick, wipe it clean and reinsert. Pull dipstick again and see if oil level is between "full" and "add" marks.......ok?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its on level ground... and i know how to check the oil.. i havent started the vehicle in hours before checking.. and i added a half a litre today.. and i think its a 1.8 litre engine.. so im gonna go and get some more oil tomorrow and add some to the engine and see what happens.. if nothing im gonna get a mechanic to look at it...

ok before i lost the cap, when I checked the oil , there was a little in it, then when i added the oil, it still didnt show any on the stick, so im guessing its just somethin wierd happening

·
Registered
880 Posts
iceache said:
its on level ground... and i know how to check the oil.. i havent started the vehicle in hours before checking.. and i added a half a litre today.. and i think its a 1.8 litre engine.. so im gonna go and get some more oil tomorrow and add some to the engine and see what happens.. if nothing im gonna get a mechanic to look at it...

ok before i lost the cap, when I checked the oil , there was a little in it, then when i added the oil, it still didnt show any on the stick, so im guessing its just somethin wierd happening
If you are talking about a 1997 Rav4 it's a 2 liter engine and if it's anything like mine it uses a lot of oil, it doesn't burn it, it's just "goes somewhere". You should check it at least once a week and keep a 4l bottle of oil and a funnel at home. Going to a heavier weight will slow the consumption.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, i checked the oil this morning and its at Half a thing of oil.. or at 1 litre.. so im going to be getting more oil today, and im going to fill it up, and once i do im going to let it sit over night and check it in the morning

1 - 15 of 15 Posts