Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a set of these in 225-65-17 106T on my 2016 XLE hybrid.

I've gone through many winter tires over the years, and I really wanted to buy the right set of tires for this car. I usually run studs, but can't anymore due to parking garage ban.

I had looked at the following tires, and reasons I didn't buy them

- Nokian Hakka R2 SUV, they are supposedly fantastic, but passed on them since word is that they have horrible treadlife...
- Michelin Xi2 latitude. I have xi3's on my other car, they are great on dry/wet/ice, but pretty bad on snow/slush. The xi2 is the older version and not as good. Pass.
- Blizzak WS80. Supposedly great on snow/ice, but not so great on dry and sloppy steering response and handling.

I decided to give the Continentals a shot. There's very few reviews on them since they are relatively new, but car and driver ranked them favorably, and tirerack tested them on ice vs the WS80 and they have identical glare ice performance. I also really enjoyed my old studded Contiicecontacts and studded Winterviking2's, those tires were insanely good, so I decided to for it.

I installed a set on Monday and here's what I've noticed so far vs the stock Michelin Latitude Tour HP's.

- better steering response
- better overall grip (temperature is 35-45F lately)
- they are slightly quieter on blacktop, and definitely quieter on concrete
- the good handling comes with a downside: they are slightly less compliant over bumps. 99% of the time they are as smooth as the stock Michelins, but when it gets very choppy, or on a big pothole, you definitely notice the stiffer sidewall.
- no noticeable decrease in fuel economy

I'm really picky with tires, and there are the least wintery winter tires ive tried so far. I have Michelin Xi3 on my other car, and I think I prefer the Continentals dry-wet road manners, comfort and quietness, which says alot since the Xi3's are known and praised for exactly those qualities.

Can't wait to see how they'll perform when it starts getting ugly out!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where do you live that you need winter tires? If you don't mind me asking.
Montreal.

Winter tires are mandatory from december 15th to march 15th, and even if they weren't, you have to be a complete idiot to use all-seasons here.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am sorry but low treadlife is common for all the best non-stud wintertires. Soft rubber makes better grip.
Here in Norway Nokian and Continental wins all wintertire tests year after year for winter tires.
I picked as always Nokian for my new Rav4h but Continental is a good choice, you will not regret.
Here in Norway it's mandatory with winter tires from Oktober 31 to the week after Easter, in the north from Oktober 15 to may 1.
If you crash your car without winter tires here you are in deep ****, not least insurance wise.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I am sorry but low treadlife is common for all the best non-stud wintertires. Soft rubber makes better grip.
Here in Norway Nokian and Continental wins all wintertire tests year after year for winter tires.
I picked as always Nokian for my new Rav4h but Continental is a good choice, you will not regret.
Here in Norway it's mandatory with winter tires from Oktober 31 to the week after Easter, in the north from Oktober 15 to may 1.
If you crash your car without winter tires here you are in deep ****, not least insurance wise.
Nice to have someone from Norsk. Also Kringla is the best from Norway.
Or do you prefer lefse?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I like both but i hate lutefisk, but love whale meat. :wink
Do you have Norwegian ancestors ?
yeah lutefisk is really strong.
one one side you got kringle and lefse which are very light and just a subtle taste
and on the other there's lutefisk which tastes like being slapped in the face with lye.
ancestors? my father's side are all norwegian

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Montreal.

Winter tires are mandatory from december 15th to march 15th, and even if they weren't, you have to be a complete idiot to use all-seasons here.
I wish it were mandatory here in Winnipeg. You'd be surprised how many idiots here run all season tires in winter. Less than 50% of the cars I see in winter use winter tires.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I wish it were mandatory here in Winnipeg. You'd be surprised how many idiots here run all season tires in winter. Less than 50% of the cars I see in winter use winter tires.
my stock tires are bridgestone ecopia all season.
i'm in bayarea/los angeles, california where there's never any snow/ice.
I do sometimes travel through snow/ice between bayarea <---> los angeles in the mountains.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My hybrid came with 18 and 17 winter tires. Iam not even sure 16 clears tje brakes up front

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My hybrid came with 18 and 17 winter tires. Iam not even sure 16 clears tje brakes up front

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
16s clear on the gas model anyway. I'm assuming(hoping) the hybrid is the same. I had 16" winter wheels on my 14 xle that I hope to use on my hybrid limited.

·
Registered
324 Posts
On my 6th year on General Tire Arctic Altimax Winter tires here and I am going for a new pair this Winter. After that amount of time, the tires are only at 50% wear (7/32" left approx). However, the wear has become uneven and I'm not going to take a chance this Winter as we are expected to get a good dumping of snow here in Quebec. I can't recommend these tires enough. Decent price, good grip and very good wear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have Bridgestone Ecopia 18” as summer tires. This week we got some snow and I changed to Continental Viking Contact 6 17” as winter tires. They seem to be splended. Gripp is good and they are much quieter than Bridgestones and pleasantly softer.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just bought Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV. I had Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded on my TDI, the best winter tire I had but with the i-AWD, I decided not to go with stud this time. Will make a review later next winter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have Nokian R2 SUV studdless 225/65/17. They save fuel and have top grip!
Uti

1 - 17 of 17 Posts