Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like the names of tires that are QUIET riding. I balance my tires every 5000 miles and I am up to 50000 miles now. They appear to be worn and I want to replace them. They are Toyo 215/70R16 and are the factory issue. I don't do any off roading. ALL of my driving is on the highway and there is only one day of snow per year. Of course, when it rains, I slow down to 65 mph.

I have read some of the other posts, but everyone seems to hate the tires that others love. The only 2 tires that seem to have pretty good reviews are Firestone Transforce HT and Goodyear Fortera TripleTred, though the Goodyears are VERY expensive.

Please tell me the tires that you are using if you have a AWD quiet and smooth riding RAV4 (I have a 2002 RAV4).

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Do a search at www.tirerack.com and www.1010.tires.com and input the size or vehicle and read the reviews.

Unfortunately the low end OEM Toyo’s did not seem to be to good. I have winter Toyo’s and know 2 others with summers and they are all excellent tires.

Are you sure the Firestone Transforce come in 215 70 60 ?

Between the Fstones and the Gyears I would pay the extra money and get the Goodyear Fortera. 1010 tires only had 3 reviews but they seem to be very good. I would check some other sources too.
Goodyear makes an excellent Summer tire, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 that are made in Germany. Man I wish I had those tires :eek:

Cheers,

Walt

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your input as to the tires that have served you well. I have already been to the 2 websites that you mentioned plus epinions.com and a couple of other websites. I was hoping to get specific info from RAV4 owners about their experiences with different tire brands.

I thought about spending the extra money on the Gyear but then I read a few opinions that said the extra money wasn't worth it.

I just want some good riding tires that are quiet. I know the RAV4 isn't a quiet luxury car, but I would assume that I can cut the decibels of noise down with better tires....

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
GCC, one last thing I can suggest is to phone the TireRack 1-800 line and ask a technical person there.
When I was looking for tires for many months (different size, & type than yours) the most knowledgeable person was a guy there.
I should have taken his advice but because of different reasons I didn't. He actually had on hand experience and tested the various tires that they test.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also had the Toyos and replaced them at approx 25000k. Just like everyone else here, the inside edge wore unevenly and caused a major rumbling :evil:
Anyways, I bought a set of Yokohamas and so far am pleased with them. I am staying on top of rotating them this time though.
I have never had to pay so much attention to tires on any other vehicle I have owned. I'm pretty convinced that there was a design flaw on the rear end. The tires shouldn't wear this easily.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

I went to Gyear because I am interested in the Fortera SilentArmor. The guy there told me that since the RAV4 is close to a car, I could get away with putting 215/65R16 on my car instead of 215/70R16. Is this true? It certainly would be cheaper if I could. I think I want to try the Gyear Assurance Comfortred if I can put 215/65R16 on my car instead of the factory installed size.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Living in a snowy climate I personally I would take the Gyear Fortera TripleTred Tires over the Gyear assur. Comf.
It has better Aquachutes for water dispersement and plenty of Sipes & Edges for ICE and SNOW traction.

The issue would be that maybe directional tires in general make more noise with the RAV’s rear negative Camber. :eek:

Now for what you said you wanted, less Noise & maybe more comfortable Ride then Assurance will do better.

Why did the salesman offer you 215/65/ 16’s when they come in 215/70/16’s ?

Here is a link to TireRack showing your size.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Fortera+SilentArmor

Am I missing something? :roll:

Cheers, Walt

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry. I wasn't clear. That was my fault.

What happened was I went to Gyear and the guy told me that I could get away with using 215/65R16 so it would be cheaper for me to get the Assurance Comfortred. I don't think the Assurance comes in a 215/70R16.

However, the Fortera SilentArmor does come in 215/70R16 but it is more expensive.

I called one of the Toyota dealers and I was told that I could put 215/65R16 on, but its better to put on 215/70R16. Now I have to decide if I want to spend the extra money to get the Forteras or the Comfortred....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Michelin LTX M/S
I've had these tires for a year and a half with no visible wear after 20000 miles.
They are a tad expensive, but they are very quiet, yet provide a safe ride in wet/dry conditions. Check them out at Costco!!!!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
gcc said:
Thanks for the replies.

I went to Gyear because I am interested in the Fortera SilentArmor. The guy there told me that since the RAV4 is close to a car, I could get away with putting 215/65R16 on my car instead of 215/70R16. Is this true? It certainly would be cheaper if I could. I think I want to try the Gyear Assurance Comfortred if I can put 215/65R16 on my car instead of the factory installed size.
There is no reason you cant put the smaller tyres on.... It will be about 2% slower than indicated speed as the overal diameter decreases by 11mm+/- (The speedo is NOT correct to begin with anyway) If you go to 225/65R16 it wount change to much, you could even go to 235...... (This is the optional size on alloy wheeled RAV is it not???) - Have a look in the tyre section of this site.....

Good luck

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ravster said:
Michelin LTX M/S
I've had these tires for a year and a half with no visible wear after 20000 miles.
They are a tad expensive, but they are very quiet, yet provide a safe ride in wet/dry conditions. Check them out at Costco!!!!

Hi Ravster, I am looking to buy the same tires. I am in Canada, I was just at costco(Vancouver,BC) earlier & the price for the Michelin LTX M/S is $172.99(cdn) each.
Just wondering about the price in the USA Costco?
Because I am going to the US of A tomorrow.
Thanks Phil.

·
Registered
43 Posts
costco price

hi Philrav,

I bought them in Feb 05. There was a Michelin special ($60 off a set of 4) that I took advantage of. My final price including taxes and road hazard was just under $600.
On a side note, I had 2 flat tires in April and June (both rear tires). The sidewalls were penetrated by nails which means the tire cannot be repaired safely. Costco replaced them for free as there was hardly any treadwear! So I have 2 new tires!
Ravster

1 - 13 of 13 Posts