Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:nerd Anyone interested or brought the "ToyotaCare Plus" Prepaid maintenance plan?
How much was the cost? Worth to get it?
:nerd Troy Dietrich quoted:
Toyota is now including a 2 yr / 25,000 complimentary maintenance plan
> > with all new vehicles. The upgrade plan for it is called Toyota Care
> > Plus, and it's available as follows in the Premium level coverage:
> >
> > Synthetic motor oil program pricing:
> > 3 yr / 35K - $355.00 - 3 yr / 45K - $495.00
> > 4 yr / 45K - $505.00 - 4 yr / 60K - $805.00
> > 5 yr / 55K - $625.00 - 5 yr / 75K - $980.00

3/24/2016 Colonial Toyota, Milford, CT
Service manager suggested a ToyotaCare Plus 4 yr/45k .....$299.
Covers the 4 maintenance services from the 30k mile interval through the 45k mile interval.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
Remember that all you get are free oil changes and tire rotations. And the 3 year plan only adds ONE year to the standard ToyotaCare, and the 5 year adds 3 years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty much as you stated: "free oil changes and tire rotations".
This is a "Prepaid" maintenance plan. (I tried explaining this to my wife...like buying a Dunkin Donuts gift card).
The Colonial Toyota Service Manager said this covers the 36 months/30k service if I buy the 4 yr/45k for $299.
I asked him how much was the 30k service (THE BIG ONE) on the Rav4 Hybrid...Current cost is $200.
(Just think: I paid $523 for the 30k service on my 2004 Toyota Corolla back in May 2007; and last week 3/19/2016, the oil change on the Corolla was $23, at a quick oil change place).

Bottom line is $299 (maintenance plan) minus $200 (30k service $200) =$99 (at 6 month interval) for 3 oil changes/tire rotations, etc.
So $33 each does not appear to be a big cost. Who knows what it will cost in 3 years from now (3/25/2016).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Save yourself the money and do the oil changes and tire rotation yourself it less expensive.

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
From my point of view the Toyota plan would be a waste of money. For $360 I bought a lifetime plan from my servicing dealer which includes oil and filter changes for as long as I own my RAV. Includes up to four oil and filter changes each year with conventional oil or two changes each year using synthetic oil. Tire rotations cost extra, but so far the charge has been only $10 per tire rotation and since I don't drive much I have had only two rotations since the free Toyota Care maintenance plan expired. Also I have no plans to sell or trade the vehicle. The only catch is that the plan which I bought has been an excuse for the service department to try to sell more and unneeded services, but I have declined these, apart from a brake fluid change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The $360 lifetime plan sounds like a plan I would be interested in. Was this a "dealer" plan or does "Toyota" or another company offered it?
(I used to do oil changes myself, but at my age today I am having fun playing with the grandkids).

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi, anyone else get prepaid maintenance? How much did you pay? I bought the 2017 Rav4 Hybrid and got the 5 year/55K miles (so only 3 yr addl) for $1,250... I can get a full refund before the 2 yr free maintenance expires... probably will.

Question:
- How much should the once a year oil change(10K miles) and inspection cost?
- How much should the mid year tire rotation (x5K miles) and inspection cost?
- What else should be included in the first 5 years? I guess just the 30K maint...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Even with full synthetic oil it should be well below $100 for an oil change, well below. Discount tire will rotate and inspect your tires for free. So you paid about $1000 too much. Run back and cancel, literally, RUN! Find a top quality local shop like Mustang Automotive in Friendswood, Texas. As honest as the day is long and more reasonable rates than dealers. RUN back and get your $1250 back, put it in a separate savings account at your bank, and go to it when you get sensible routine service. It will likely "buy" you a 10 year / 100,000 mile routine maintenance plan at your top quality local shop compared to the 5/55 dealer ripoff.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
Hi, anyone else get prepaid maintenance? How much did you pay? I bought the 2017 Rav4 Hybrid and got the 5 year/55K miles (so only 3 yr addl) for $1,250... I can get a full refund before the 2 yr free maintenance expires... probably will.

Question:
- How much should the once a year oil change(10K miles) and inspection cost?
- How much should the mid year tire rotation (x5K miles) and inspection cost?
- What else should be included in the first 5 years? I guess just the 30K maint...
Ever since I bought my RAV4 my dealer has been sending me emails every month that include their coupon for an oil change deal. For conventional oil, the price is $39.95, synthetic is $59.95. This includes 5 quarts of oil, Toyota oil filter, tire rotation and pressure check, and a complimentary 21-point inspection. This will cover everything on your factory required maintenance schedule. Add it up and you'll see it comes out to a LOT less then $1250!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi, anyone else get prepaid maintenance? How much did you pay? I bought the 2017 Rav4 Hybrid and got the 5 year/55K miles (so only 3 yr addl) for $1,250... I can get a full refund before the 2 yr free maintenance expires... definitely will.

Got price estimate for factory required service.
30K svc $220
35K tire rotation $22
40k svc $78
45k tire rotation $22
50k svc $78
55k tire rotation $22
Value $442
Price $1250
By paying ahead -$808

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nothing has changed since your post #8 . There's a well known provider of extended warranties and maintenance plans who sells the 5/55 plan for $625, exactly half what you paid. Still a bit too expensive at today's prices but who knows what will happen to costs over the next 5 years. Still probably best to get your $1250 back and put it into a separate savings account and just go to it when you get service done. Find a good local shop you can trust. They'll likely be a bit less expensive than the dealer and do equally good work if not likely better.

·
Super Moderator
11,141 Posts
Ever since I bought my RAV4 my dealer has been sending me emails every month that include their coupon for an oil change deal. For conventional oil, the price is $39.95, synthetic is $59.95. This includes 5 quarts of oil, Toyota oil filter, tire rotation and pressure check, and a complimentary 21-point inspection
The price sure changes when they realize the V-6 takes a tad over 6 quarts. I used to use the coupon and hand them the 6th quart to avoid the absurd change for it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When I purchased my Rav, the dealership threw in an additional 4 years of oil, tire rotations and x point inspections. I did not ask for it. So I have a total of 6 years service. At the time, approx 2 months ago, they couldn't keep Rav4's on the lot. I was looking at two limited ones, one standard, the other a hybrid. They would not come down anymore on the hybrid, so I passed. I paid the agreed upon price for the other limited. But during the financing, they asked me if I wanted an additional 4 years of service to keep me happy, at no charge. I said yes, and there were no additional fees on my paperwork. They called it VIP service with the oil being synthetic. Because I'm getting older and lazy, I don't do oil changes anymore. So if I had to pay for this service, I probably would have--assuming the price was right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts