Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy
I'm wondering if the Japan build quality on the hybrid is better, worse or the same as the Canada build R4 gas, and are there any noticeable differences in quality or parts other than the obvious?
The CVT in the hybrid must account for some fuel savings so it would be interesting to know what the numbers would be for the R4 gas if it was equipped with the CVT?
Does anyone know if the CVT is the same as the Prius or Lexus, kind of wondering how it's reliability is going to pan out?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The entire hybrid system is identical to the previous Highlander and Lexus models, and the same design as the Prius.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Howdy
I'm wondering if the Japan build quality on the hybrid is better, worse or the same as the Canada build R4 gas, and are there any noticeable differences in quality or parts other than the obvious?
Toyota's Total Quality Management system makes the build location irrelevant.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It also isn't just the CVT that makes it more efficient when the engine is running. It is also because it is an atkinson cycle engine which is more efficient but produces less power. So if you used that engine you'd be more efficient but only have about 150 hp. In the hybrid, the battery and dc motors make up for (and exceed) the power rating of the gas only engine while using the less powerful atkinson engine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Efficiency wouldn't change by putting a CVT in the gasoline RAV4, but it certainly would be nice regardless. The 6-speed transmission was one of the reasons I traded mine in for the hybrid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts