·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a copy and paste:

By John Goreham G+ 2016-04-06 21:10

2016 RAV4 Hybrid Has Outsold Every Electric Vehicle Model This Year

2016 RAV4 Hybrid with AWD-i

The RAV4 Hybrid is selling at a pace that makes EV fans envious.
Despite a new update to the Nissan Leaf and an all-new Chevy Volt, the 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid is outselling both so far in 2016. Combined. Yes, the RAV4 Hybrid is a more popular green vehicle than either of those affordable EVs. In fact, it is more popular than any EV.

With Toyota reporting sales this year of 7,484 units, the 2016 RAV4 Hybrid is outselling both the Tesla Model S (6,390) and also the Model X (2,400). The RAV4 Hybrid is also outselling the BMW i3 by about ten to one. If our math is correct, the RAV4 Hybrid has sold more units this year than the combined total of 18 EVs on this list Inside EVs maintains. The RAV4 Hybrid's surprisingly strong sales by comparison to today's EVs begs the question: "How much gasoline does an EV that doesn't sell save?"

Affordable EV's will catch on once a really good one comes to market. The Tesla Model 3 had about 300,000 reservations the last time we checked. That exciting new vehicle has very little in common with the 2016 RAV4 Hybrid, but two things do match up. The base price of $35K Tesla is promising the Model 3 will start at is the same as the price one pays for a fully-loaded RAV4 Hybrid. Both also have good range. In the case of the Model 3 estimates are that it will go about 215 miles between charging, and the RAV4 Hybrid has a range of about 488 miles between gas-ups.

- See more at: 2016 RAV4 Hybrid Has Outsold Every Electric Vehicle Model This Year - Torque News

·
Registered
107 Posts
215 miles sucks for a range. They didn't mention how long it takes to charge the Tesla, if you can even find a charging station.

Reality is, EVs are only useful for basic commuting between fixed locations. A hybrid can take you anywhere any other car can and you never worry about finding energy.

When they get the range to about 350 miles and, there are quick change battery packs available everywhere, electrics will be nice. Until then, they are a social statement, not a practical human transport.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I'm not sure what a hybrid has to do with EVs, or why you'd compare them. 2 very different markets. Some magazine writer was desperate for a topic.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Electrics make a great second car.
Damn Toyota and Honda better come up with one before my Model 3 order gets to the configuration stage.

I still think the Japanese makers have better reliability that US ones, including Tesla.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
My sister's VW Golf TDi gets 48 mpg on diesel, which now is less expensive than 87 gasoline here! No idea of what mileage it will get after VW's fix, whatever that may be, but I could be in the market for Hyundai's Santa Cruz pickup with its 190 hp. diesel, if it ever comes into production, with projected highway mileage in the high 30s. No battery recharge station involved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts