Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new R4P is only a few days old. On the way home from the dealership (115 mi.) I noticed the car was pulling left or right and I was "fighting" to correct it. It was in cruise control and NO, I was not driving over the white lines. Has anyone else had this problem? My husband thinks he found the answer, it seems the car is trying to "center" the car in its lane using Lane Tracing Assist, which can be turned off. Should I turn it off?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have seen this problem occasionally, where the Lane Keep doesn't keep the car centered in the lane but tries to keep the car about one foot from the right side of the lane. Most of the time I don't have this problem, but when it happens, it happens for the entire drive. I'm not sure why.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have 10k on my car. Lane keeping assist (LKA), has a mind of its own. I found that if you fight it, it is all over the place. Try this. Select LKA and let the car sort its position out. ie- gentle on the wheel and let it find its sweet spot. After that, just monitor the steering wheel rather than trying to steer the car. For me, it works fine. Takes a bit of learning the LKA system.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's because you are fighting it. Let it find its lane and it will settle down. LKA is quite sensitive to wheel inputs and tends to overreact. If you try to adjust, it goes to far the other way. I have gotten used to it and find that, with practice, it is not a bad to use. FWIW

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE in Magnetic Gray
769 Posts
That's because you are fighting it. Let it find its lane and it will settle down. LKA is quite sensitive to wheel inputs and tends to overreact. If you try to adjust, it goes to far the other way. I have gotten used to it and find that, with practice, it is not a bad to use. FWIW
Agreed. LKA actually helped me realize I had a tendency to float too far to the left. LKA initially made me uncomfortable because I felt the car was going to far to the right. One day I had a friend following behind me on a highway, so I gave him a call (hands-free), turned on LKA, and asked him if I was centered in the lane or floating one side or the other. He said I was dead center even though I felt like I was too far to the right. At that point I learned not to fight LKA and to just guide it around corners. Now I don't use ACC without LKA. Driving the car is so stress-free now.

·
Registered
2022 Rav4 Prime SE, 2016 Leaf with upgraded 40kwh battery, 2014 Prius, 1965 F100 Inline 6
108 Posts
You all that like lane assist, does it get better? Learn overtime? Or teaches the user to co-exist? I hate it because it seems to bounce side to side. But I also am just 12 days into this.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You can switch off LTA or LKA. Button on the steering wheel. You can use cruise control independently.

You can also change LTA or LKA behaviour through the MID. I have it set to middle sensitivity since it defaults to the highest sensitivity and which causes the car to ping pong a lot. Now I have no problems but one thing I don't like is that it doesn't put the car into the middle of the lane, it puts it under a foot from the left lane (UK here and we drive on the left, like Japan, Aus, South Africa, etc.). It will be right biased for you folk in USA and Can. I don't like this because we got a lot of trucks on our motorways (freeways, highways) and that doesn't leave enough room for my liking as the 18 wheelers take up a full lane's width.

The other thing is that in slightly poor lighting, less than perfect lane markings, etc the thing randomly disengages. It's still a useful aid but it is behind the times compared to similar systems I've used 5 or so years back on Mercs and other brands.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 Rav4 Prime SE, 2016 Leaf with upgraded 40kwh battery, 2014 Prius, 1965 F100 Inline 6
108 Posts
I only have 2 sensitivity settings. High and low. I already have tried both to no avail. Really pisses me off how much variation there in between SE and XSE and 2021 and 2022 Primes. Probably reflects how much the software is in evolution.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My new R4P is only a few days old. On the way home from the dealership (115 mi.) I noticed the car was pulling left or right and I was "fighting" to correct it. It was in cruise control and NO, I was not driving over the white lines. Has anyone else had this problem? My husband thinks he found the answer, it seems the car is trying to "center" the car in its lane using Lane Tracing Assist, which can be turned off. Should I turn it off?
Yes. Turn it OFF.

I had occasion to rent a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited several times prior to taking delivery of my own. I ran through all of the "driving assist" features and came away with a vigorous thumbs down on each and every one of them.

Generally, I find myself having a rather hostile posture toward "Driver Assist" features. If someone isn't up to the task of maintaining lane control, paying attention to what they're doing, operating a vehicle with the awareness and consideration that they are not the only vehicle out on the road? Well, Get Off My Lawn!

In normal conditions, I keep my vehicle curbside tires within inches of the 'fog line' ---- the objective being to keep as far away from vehicles in the adjacent lane as possible ---- or my driver side tires are against the yellow median line if I'm passing on the freeway ---- this is defensive driving. The Toyota Driving Assist feature that tries its best to figure out where lanes on the road might be? Yeah, it is not compatible with this driving style of staying as far away from adjacent lanes as possible while still remaining in MY lane.

I also assume (and this assumption gets reinforced, constantly) that people sitting behind the steering wheel in other vehicles : 1) have had too much to drink, 2) are having a medical emergency, 3) are new to Earth from another planet and have never driven a vehicle before and have zero clues about traffic laws and rules of the road, 4) are trying to collide with other vehicles, 5) are engrossed in a game of Candy Crush on their phone and driving is way down their priority list, 6) are narcissistic assholes without any insurance and they're just itching for some engagement.

Reactions: nickc72

·
Registered
264 Posts
Since apparently you don't own a R4P, maybe you should rethink your assessment of said vehicle. The safety features built into the R4P are their for the protection of the occupants of the vehicle, AND they work very well if you LEARN how to use them. I admit that LTA/LKA takes a bit of getting used to, but once learned, it makes driving SAFER IMHO. Many of the other safety items can save your ass because they are faster than you are. Try it, you might like it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yes. Turn it OFF.

I had occasion to rent a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited several times prior to taking delivery of my own. I ran through all of the "driving assist" features and came away with a vigorous thumbs down on each and every one of them.

Generally, I find myself having a rather hostile posture toward "Driver Assist" features. If someone isn't up to the task of maintaining lane control, paying attention to what they're doing, operating a vehicle with the awareness and consideration that they are not the only vehicle out on the road? Well, Get Off My Lawn!

In normal conditions, I keep my vehicle curbside tires within inches of the 'fog line' ---- the objective being to keep as far away from vehicles in the adjacent lane as possible ---- or my driver side tires are against the yellow median line if I'm passing on the freeway ---- this is defensive driving. The Toyota Driving Assist feature that tries its best to figure out where lanes on the road might be? Yeah, it is not compatible with this driving style of staying as far away from adjacent lanes as possible while still remaining in MY lane.

I also assume (and this assumption gets reinforced, constantly) that people sitting behind the steering wheel in other vehicles : 1) have had too much to drink, 2) are having a medical emergency, 3) are new to Earth from another planet and have never driven a vehicle before and have zero clues about traffic laws and rules of the road, 4) are trying to collide with other vehicles, 5) are engrossed in a game of Candy Crush on their phone and driving is way down their priority list, 6) are narcissistic assholes without any insurance and they're just itching for some engagement.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
I continue to agree that the Lane Assistant just is not up to the task. I have tried the various sensitivities. Seems my SE has only two different levels. I think that the XSE might get more levels. Another gripe of mine that SE and XSE have such different technology packages. But I digress.

BUT, the variable cruise is really nice (except) in that it really makes driving in variable traffic so much less stressful. Sadly, the "except" is that the cruise causes my Prime to start the ICE engine variably, when I would rather have a little more sedate acceleration back to the set speed. I does seem like something a software update could fix. Here's to hoping.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts