Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so for some who may or may not know, most race cars run an automatic transmission, with a clutch instead of a torque converter and manual valve body, with sequential shifter. has anyone ever built one for a first gen rav? or upgraded a rav auto in any real way?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was thinking possibly the trans from a v6 rav4 might be a pretty sturdy unit, would definitely handle the power of a 3sgte, i still havent found anything useful as far as modifying the transmission itself, or if it would be a direct fit, i would also assume you would need a tcu for it to work properly. but its another option, and i think some of them came factory with sequential shifting, which would actually save a lot of time and modifying.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
an automatic can be made into a sequential gearbox. most baja classed trucks, class 1 buggies, and trophy trucks run manual valve body clutched auto's. i have one in my dodge pre-runner, tho the only thing different from a baja truck is that my truck doesnt have a clutch in place of the torque converter, or a fully manual valve body, it will stay in any gear thats manually selected just like a manual valve body but if i switch it from straight 3-speed to overdrive it drives like a regular automatic (aside from the spine snapping tire chirping shifts haha) thanks to a transmission programmer.

basically if you put a proper manual valve body/cltuched race built auto in a car and a sequential gearbox in another identical car you wouldnt know the difference unless they told you. and a proper race built auto is a lot cheaper, a lot easier to get parts for and a hell of a lot more durable in terms of longevity.

so thats why i want to build an auto for my rav, but thus far finding anything in the way of performance stuff for a rav4 transmission is turning up nothing. my pre runner has a power demon racing 46rh trans and the mod list on it nuts, its about as built as you can make an auto. if i could build a trans like that for my rav4, it would be a huuuuge legup in the autocross events.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts