Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of trying to fix a power steering leak that Ive had on the car since got from previous owner.

Power steering leaks from rack and pinion somewhere and also is getting air into system and causing power steering reservoir to get foamy and bubble over making a mess too.

Ive researched here and am thinking that it may be the steering rack shaft input seal where the steering shaft goes into the rack and pinion.

But Im also wondering if its leaking from the power steering lines going into the rack and pinion. I disconnected them and theres no o rings in them, Im wondering if there should be? Have been fixing shoddy workmanship some sheister mechanic did from previous owners for years on this car!

thanks in advance
Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
no orings buddy! so you connect both the return and pressure feed tubes into them just like a regular pipe thread.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, then its gotta be that shaft input seal leaking and letting air in, least I hope that's what the problem is!:ponder:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah sure, but Im going to remove the rack to replace the seal since Ive got the entire engine and everything apart already. Ive read on some other Threads of people replacing the seal with leaving the rack and pinion in as well though.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a similar issue but I am replacing the whole rack. Not a good idea?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I kinda isolated my leak to the main part of the rack, thinkin it was a leak in the line intakes or that main rack input seal. I figured I'd swap that seal out first since its only around 10-15 bux and see if that does the trick. You may want to try replacing that seal too first b4 whole new rack because it seems like everyones seal goes out there eventually

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is leaking also. Can you post any pictures when you repair it?
lol I finally got around to editing this vid where I replaced the seal. You may find some info in the vid helpful even though its before I had a good camera to shoot with.

-Jon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah its not too bad removing the rack once you know whats all entailed (removing outer tie rods and sway bar/end links). It's a full days project at least. But it fixed my leak, and no more bubbles in my reservoir either. So Im happy I didnt have to shell out for a whole new rack, instead a $10 seal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts