Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are now going to replace the rack and pinion & the left strut & bearings.

They 1st changed the strut tower assembly. This did not eliminate the faint knocking sound.

They then changed the right strut & bearings but the faint knocking sound was still there. The dealer still says it is not normal.

Can the rack & pinion cause a knocking sound on uturns, more abrupt turns, or full circle turns? They said it was noisy.
I don't know what else they can change.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
backtolife said:
I don't know what else they can change.
So far if I am keeping track correctly you have had the left strut and the right strut bearings replaced, you are now on getting a new Rack and pinion, and you just posted that your fuel pump is bad.

Down here in the lower 40 we call it three strikes and you get a new one. Don't know what Canadian Law states. But if they continue replacing part after part it might be time to bring in regional Toyota to see where this is going.

Just my opinion here.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1st, they changed both strut tower assemblies.

Next they have changed the right strut & bearings.
At that time, they changed the drivers window run but there still is a rattle, however it is a little better than before.

On backorder is the left strut & bearings as well as the rack & pinion. The dealer does not know if the rack & pinion will correct the problem. It seems to be a guessing game.

Also on backorder is the fuel pump.

I contacted Toyota Canada & they said there is no lemon law here.

They have told me that they are prepared to repair the vehicle only.
Toyota Canada did not attempt to offer me anything.

It is clear that Toyota Canada does not support customer service.

The dealer wants to keep my vehicle for a couple of days after the repairs are done to make sure everything is ok. I guess, Toyota Canada wants to inspect the vehicle as well.

We have an arbitration board here in Canada called
CAMVAP (CANADIAN MOTOR VEHICLE ARBITRATION PLAN).
They will be mailing me a package. I don't think they can get me a new vehicle but maybe a buyback from Toyota.

·
Registered
685 Posts
A knocking sound on u-turns, etc, sounds to me to be a binding CVJ........but what do I know compared to the ppl you're dealing with....... :oops:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
backtolife said:
Toyota Canada is no different than any other auto maker. They are not concerned if your vehicle is repaired properly or in a timely fashion. As long as an effort is being made, they believe they are honouring their end of the warranty contract. They dictacte the terms of any contracts, not you. Last year when Acura was screwing around with my extended warranty without my express written or verbal consent, they said it's their perogative to do with the contract as they want. Even though I had a valid signed and dated letter of cancellation (from Acura) and demanded a refund, they told me they reinstated it again (against my wishes) and there was nothing I could do. People have sued auto manufacturers here in Canada and spent more money that whatever settlement they achieved. They know full well there is practically nothing the consumer can do.

I would seriously be concerned that the dealership is throwing all those parts at the car. I've learned (the hard way) that this type of shotgun repair sometimes does more harm than good.

Rob

·
Registered
53 Posts
I suggest that you contact an attorney to see what can be done for you. I'm not sure about canadian law, but speaking on what I know about law in the US, not much in the law is black and white. Blank statements like "there is no lemon law in Canada" or "you must go to arbitration", tend to be misleading. They may be literally true, but usually there are exceptions or arguments that can be made to support your position (whatever your position may be).

As for this statement:
People have sued auto manufacturers here in Canada and spent more money that whatever settlement they achieved. They know full well there is practically nothing the consumer can do.
This may be true IN SOME SITUATIONS, but I disagree that this is true across the board. Keeping things in perspective (RAV4's are expensive), it does not cost too much (if anything) to go see a lawyer and hear what your OPTIONS are.

·
Registered
379 Posts
[
quote="flyingn"]I agree with summer. Here you get a lawyer and he gets you a new car to replace that lemon for free. No cost to you.
[/quote]
Nope! the Federal Lemon Law DOESN"T exactly work that way. Three fixes on the same problem. Then they get ONE MORE try ONLY to correct the problem. Then it goes to arbitation and then the board decides if they get ONE MORE try. If not you MAY get a LIKE VEHICLE, W/ LIKE OPTIONS AND LIKE MILAGE. No BRAND NEW cars unless they can't find a LIKE vehicle. Consumer protection at it's best. The lawyers designed it to protect business. Have fun.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RobG said:
backtolife said:
Toyota Canada is no different than any other auto maker. They are not concerned if your vehicle is repaired properly or in a timely fashion. As long as an effort is being made, they believe they are honouring their end of the warranty contract. They dictacte the terms of any contracts, not you. Last year when Acura was screwing around with my extended warranty without my express written or verbal consent, they said it's their perogative to do with the contract as they want. Even though I had a valid signed and dated letter of cancellation (from Acura) and demanded a refund, they told me they reinstated it again (against my wishes) and there was nothing I could do. People have sued auto manufacturers here in Canada and spent more money that whatever settlement they achieved. They know full well there is practically nothing the consumer can do.

I would seriously be concerned that the dealership is throwing all those parts at the car. I've learned (the hard way) that this type of shotgun repair sometimes does more harm than good.

Rob
I have decided to trade in the Rav.
I made a decision on the Highlander.....some people have said this to me...another Toyota???

I thought about arbitration, but I just want to put this vehicle behind me.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope! the Federal Lemon Law DOESN"T exactly work that way. Three fixes on the same problem. Then they get ONE MORE try ONLY to correct the problem. Then it goes to arbitation and then the board decides if they get ONE MORE try. If not you MAY get a LIKE VEHICLE, W/ LIKE OPTIONS AND LIKE MILAGE. No BRAND NEW cars unless they can't find a LIKE vehicle. Consumer protection at it's best. The lawyers designed it to protect business. Have fun.
Not in Hawaii! They will skin a dealer alive for this sort of thing. Fed law is nothing more than a guidline. As long as state law follows the basic premise of the federal law, the state law can levy additonal penalties, requirements, guidelines and or restrictions. Here it's three strikes and your out.... It does not matter if the dealer does three different "fixes" for the same problem; three times in for the same problem and your either gonna get a new car or your money back :D.................

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
progun said:
Not in Hawaii! They will skin a dealer alive for this sort of thing. Fed law is nothing more than a guidline. As long as state law follows the basic premise of the federal law, the state law can levy additonal penalties, requirements, guidelines and or restrictions. Here it's three strikes and your out.... It does not matter if the dealer does three different "fixes" for the same problem; three times in for the same problem and your either gonna get a new car or your money back :D.................
Yeap....Book him Dano

1 - 13 of 13 Posts