Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my RAV4 Limited Hybrid yesterday. Today I drove it through some heavy rain and a little snow (just falling, melted on the ground). The adaptive cruise control was great for keeping me out of trouble in the rain, when cars would slow down suddenly without warning.

But then for a while the cruise control wouldn't work. There was a message saying I needed to clean the radar sensor. I don't even know where it is. All I can think of is that maybe it got covered with snow? It happened right after I was in the coldest part of the drive where it was snowing. But still, it was warm enough that it should have melted right away.

I did no cleaning, and after I descended to warmer temperatures, the radar was working again.

Has anybody else had a similar issue? :confused:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
That's not unexpected. The radar is in the front Toyota emblem. This is covered in the manual.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have only driven in snow once in my Rav4 Hybrid but never on the highway. I did have an issue with my front parking sensors beeping at me when leaving the parking lot after a small amount of snow fell. A few false warnings and then it cleared itself. This video talks about how rain, fog or snow could cause the dynamic cruise control to cancel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's not unexpected. The radar is in the front Toyota emblem. This is covered in the manual.
What page(s) in the manual covers this? I'd like to verify your statement of fact as to the location of the radar sensor.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
What page(s) in the manual covers this? I'd like to verify your statement of fact as to the location of the radar sensor.
If you watch the first 20 seconds of the video (in the post above yours) you can get verification.

I also downloaded the owners manual for you and located the page you were interested in (page 223). I hope that helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thank You!! I appreciate your help on this. Since my (US) 2016 RAV4 Limited Hybrid has a sensor (camera?) mounted BELOW the TOYOTA LOGO (pic attached), I needed some help. This little "eyeball" looking thing is IN ADDITION TO the eyeball that is behind the rearview mirror (looking forward through the windshield). Finally, there are also two little electronic connections that appear to be affixed to the rear or the Toyota logo plate on the nose of the car... One is likely the impact detection - the other probably the DRCC... Begging the question - I wonder what the "2nd" forward-looking camera is all about? Guesses? Cheers!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I wonder what the "2nd" forward-looking camera is all about? Guesses? Cheers!
According to your profile you have a 2016 Hybrid but you don't state what trim level you have.

According to the 2016 RAV4 Brochure , the Limited Hybrid has the Birds Eye View option. There is more about the Birds Eye View mentioned here.

The following video will show you where the Birds Eye View cameras are located.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have only driven in snow once in my Rav4 Hybrid but never on the highway. I did have an issue with my front parking sensors beeping at me when leaving the parking lot after a small amount of snow fell. A few false warnings and then it cleared itself. This video talks about how rain, fog or snow could cause the dynamic cruise control to cancel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJJEG-qkh-8
That's a cool video. I drove through heavy rain, and the radar kept working just fine. It was only the snow that actually blocked it, probably by collecting on the front logo.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The adaptive cruise control and pre-collision system radar sensor is a rectangular box mounted vertically behind the front plastic grille which "sees" through the center Toyota emblem. It's much larger than the microwave radar sensors studded across the front and rear bumper covers.

The bird's eye view cameras are located below the Toyota emblem in front, beneath each side mirror, and above the rear license plate next to the rear hatch release button. The camera at the top of the windshield is the lane departure warning system camera.

Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts