Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new RAV4 yesterday. I've been trying to figure out how to set the cruise control.... Here is what's happening.

1. Turning on the cruise control and pressing the stalk down to set works and sets the speed
2. Turning off the cruise, turning it back on and then pressing it down sets the new speed
3. Increasing speed and pressing the stalk down simply decreases the set speed.
4. Cancelling the cruise by braking or other means and then increasing speed, pressing the stalk down simply reduces the last set speed.

It's number 4 that makes no sense to me. I can't for the life of me, get it to set a new speed without turning it on and off again. Other cars that I have driven don't behave like this. Is this just me, or is it something which is designed to be like this?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
4. Cancelling the cruise by braking or other means and then increasing speed, pressing the stalk down simply reduces the last set speed.

It's number 4 that makes no sense to me. I can't for the life of me, get it to set a new speed without turning it on and off again.
According to the owners manual, pushing the lever up (not down) will resume the last speed prior to cancelling.

The lever actually has the word "+ RES" next to the up arrow, and "- SET" next to the down arrow as a reminder.

When cruise is engaged, momentary pushes up will increase speed, while momentary pushes down will decrease speed. If cruise is not engaged then pressing down will set you current speed as the desired speed, and pressing up will set your last speed ( if it exists) as the desired speed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... So the only way to set a new speed is by cancelling the old one first?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
Thanks... So the only way to set a new speed is by cancelling the old one first?

No, you can move the lever up. Each push up will raise your speed by approx. 1 mph. Each push down will decrease your speed by 1 mph. Pushing up and holding will accelerate quickly. Pushing down will decelerate quickly and even apply the brakes if necessary. Just remember, after your speed is set, UP speeds up, DOWN, slows down.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah... Ok. I'm coming from a car with a set, resume, plus and minus button

1 - 5 of 5 Posts