Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone i wonder if someone can help me with a :problem i have on my 1998 rav4?:crying so here it goes last week i noticed a leak on my radiator so i decided to change for a new one after changing everything was fine till i had to go for a trip on the highway after 30 kilometers or so i noticed the tempreture go up and pulled over and the engine closed, i open the bonet the radiator was cold and everything else hot so took it to my mechanic long story short he foun a small water pipe blow up and he tells me because it was old i replaced all the old pipes.after all that he test the car i start the engine paid and left BUT after a week i drove the car for an hour tempreture all fine i come home switch off the car come down and boom the radiator just open up from under where is the plastic to the iron and all the water comes out :confused:now my mechanic says the engine needs to be open please help:crying:confused::mad:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is he suspecting a head gasket problem?? If the engine did not overheat while driving, I would lean towards a faulty new radiator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

yes he said there is pressure in the engine and it must be the head gasket but is it better to open the engine or just put another in:mad:

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's likely you do have a leak in the head gasket from the combustion chamber to an engine coolant passage. If you think about it most combustion engines produce 120-180psi when you check them during a compression check. That pressure could be available to the cooling system if the head gasket was compromised. It's likely the reason for your first, second and third leak.

Most parts stores in the US will take a deposit for a kit like this that can check the pressure the radiator will hold or is being subjected too. Zero cost if you return the kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Stant-12270-C...4751&sr=1-2&keywords=radiator+pressure+tester

If your mechanic hasn't already checked I'd verify it myself.

Symptoms EngineGuy

·
Super Moderator
11,247 Posts
I agree it's probably a bad head gasket. It's too late now but any knowledgeable mechanic should know the easy test for combustion pressure leaking into the cooling system. After filling the system you simply start the car with the radiator cap off. If it blows coolant, or preferably water for the test, out the filler the head gasket has failed. Even a steady stream of small bubbles indicate the gasket is failing.

What kind of prices are you getting for the repair options? And do you have access to a better mechanic?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts