Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my RAV4 has a couple hairline cracks that's leaking coolant very slowly. It's not quite an issue yet (only need to add coolant to reservoir once a month) but I've decided to fix it before it becomes a bigger issue.

So I bought a Radiator and themostat from the Dealer and is ready to replace next weekend. The only question I have is, do I really have to remove the AC Condenser. Everywhere I looked and have read says it makes replacing the Radiator easier. If I look at the car, it looks like the Radiator should have enough room to pull out. If it doesn't, I can drop the fans and maybe make more room.

Question here: Has anyone replace their First Gen RAV4's radiator without removing the AC Condenser?

Thanks
Kasey
1999 Rav4 Automatic

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mine is a 1996 manual. When i replace mine the mechanic just set aside the fans to make room for the radiator to be pulled up. They didn't remove my condenser.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Update... Very hard, but can be done. Must unbolt both fans. Remove anti-freeze reservoir helps. Unbolt ALL the bolts from AC Condenser to the car. You really need 2 people to try to take out the OLD Radiator. One to take out the Radiator, the other to twist and move the fans around. Also, when taking out the OLD Radiator, you will bend and mess up the fins, but again its the old one. When putting in the NEW Radiator, if you are careful, with 2 people you can put the NEW Radiator back without messing up the fins. I think I only had maybe one small section of fins that were 'barely' bent.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts