Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
IDK for the RAV4's OEMs, but most other aftermarket replacements are (if the same engine). Usually the transmission cooler is just left unconnected for those with manual transmissions.

If there was a towing/hot weather/heavy duty cooling option, the radiator could be different too -- usually thicker.

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
For 1997, 2WD, 5-door, North American Ravs I get different part numbers:
Automatic: 16400-7A122 (RADIATOR ASSY)
Manual: 16400-7A111 (RADIATOR ASSY)
Most probably though, as Lugnut suggested, the only difference would be the extra outlets for the transmission cooler.

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I though so. I saw that at the bottom of all the radiators "online" that I was looking at had water outlets piping. My radiator doesn't. So Toyota 16400-7A111 it is. It has a very small leak and for me, radiator stop leak just won't cut it. As you can see it has a minor leak.

Next project:
Change Radiator
Change or rebuild power steering pump.
Maybe rebuild the Rack and Pinion if needed.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Can you determine exactly where the leak is coming from? In the past when I have had a small leak I have been able to take the radiator to a radiator repair shop and they would repair the leak for much less money than a new radiator costs. But that was in the day of all-metal radiators. If that isn't possible then it may be possible to buy a rebuilt radiator, or even one from a car salvage yard with a guarantee that it won't leak.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,083 Posts
I used the same radiator for the automatic in my 5 speed. I was debating running my transmission cooler lines through it and then link it to the transmission cooler. I don't know if it would gain much other than more fluid.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,083 Posts
I don't know if you have completed this or not but here are some pointers.

Make sure you take the following off the old radiator:
1) sensor near the lower radiator hose output.
2) lower vibration pads
3) upper mounts

Inspect you cooling fans, mine were in bad shape, lots of corrosion. I replaced them with a pair of Upgr8 Universal High Performance 12V Slim Electric Cooling Radiator Fan With Fan Mounting Kit (14 Inch, Black) - Amazon.com. One big advantage is that you can easily slide the radiator into place with the fans mounted.

Unless you have replaced the thermostat, radiator cap, and hoses in the past year get new ones.

Inspect your heater hoses and all those outlet hoses that you can (two are under the exhaust manifold). There are also hoses going and coming to the throttle body and one last hose going to the back side of the heads running just above the fuel injectors.

Flush out everything until it comes out pretty clear particularly the heater core before you put your new stuff on.

But I'm sure you know all that, mostly for others that follow these threads.

This is my thread about rebuilding my entire cooling system. http://www.rav4world.com/forums/85-4-1-faults-fixes/243105-cooling-system-rebuild.html

Reactions: mensajero
1 - 9 of 9 Posts