Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the manual but could not locate the instructions on how to lower the antenna. I've a base model. Would someone kindly enlighten me? Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Curious, but did you even bother to look at your antenna before checking the manual or the web? It doesn't even look like it retracks.

While we're on the subject, I wish they would have put the antenna on the back of the roof, like the RAV4 X, instead of the front side--but it's really no big deal.

And if you're worried about car washes--don't be. I've taken mine through multiple times, and the antenna comes out fine.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Many shorter options are available. I put one on mine - see album pic. Make sure the one you buy says it will fit a Toyota.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Canadian auto parts store. Not much help for those in the US, but this is just a generic, inexpensive antenna - I'd think similar ones would be widely available.

B

·
0 Posts
Captain M said:
Janos said:
I got mine here (see album), http://www.brandsport.com/.
How much did it affect the radio reception?
I installed the 9 inch version on my RAV about 6 months ago, and after careful listening and swapping back again to the OEM antenna as a double check, I found the 9 inch Brandsport provided slightly better reception. It also looks a lot better. I junked the OEM antenna.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I like the look and find it well worth the $23.50.
My big concern is that someone else will like it more and take it. ;-)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Captain M said:
Janos said:
I got mine here (see album), http://www.brandsport.com/.
How much did it affect the radio reception?
I didn't have my OEM on for that long so I can't give an great comparison. All I can say is that I don't have issues except some AM stations aren't as strong.

One of my reasons for the short one was you can reach over it when clearing snow and washing the car. It's a little more convenient than reaching around the OEM.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I actually have no idea. Maybe it virtually makes the antenna taller, so that it gets better reception for its size. They had three or four different shorty antennas in the store and this was the one I liked the look of the best. One was thicker, another one was squiggly like an old-style cell phone antenna, etc.

I practically never listen to the radio (although my wife does) so I was mainly interested in looks, but this one works well, so that was a bonus.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts