Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some photos I've seen (on the main page of this site too) show what looks like the radio antenna sticking up from the roof. I've seen that before on lower cars/sedans (a friend's mazda 3), but on a taller car like a RAV, isn't this going to smack the top of my garage door when I drive out, maybe even go into the garage door handle if it's centered, and snap off? Please tell me the radio antenna is placed elsewhere. My 96 RAV's comes out of the roof near the driver's door, and I have to keep that extended only about half way, lest it snag the garage door and bend back with a horrible TWANG. My 02 Camry's is beautifully built into the rear window.

S

·
0 Posts
It's only the European 2006 RAV4's that have a roof mounted radio antenna (at the rear in the center). On the North American RAV4's it's mounted on the front fender/wing (Passenger side)

European 2006 RAV4:-

North American 2006 RAV4:-

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Too bad, that dorky old-style antenna on the front fender on the North American model is one of the problems I have with the current model. Kind of surprising to see an antenna on there at all considering how common the print or in-glass antennas are now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anywhere EXCEPT the roof is OK with me. Roof racks means I'm carrying something... so how's an antenna gonna help? It just gets in the way!!

P

·
0 Posts
On the UK Rav4 the aerial mounted on the roof is at the back, so it doesn't interfere with a roof rack. It is also made of very flexible rubber, so if it catches the garage door, it doesn't break off! :)

H

·
0 Posts
Plus it simply screws off if you do need to carry something on the roof that will contact it

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
philsteels said:
It is also made of very flexible rubber, so if it catches the garage door, it doesn't break off! :)
I wasn't worried of it simply catching the door, but rather having the antenna go in between the overhead garage door and the garage door handle, then as the car backs up, the antenna gets wedged in there and rips off. Hopefully the antenna will not move from the side to the roof between the prototype and the US production model (though I'd still prefer it etched into the rear window).

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
I believe they do have garages in Europe, so if it was an issue of any significance we'd have heard about it in the US. Toyota probably figures us Americans are too sophisticated for the CB antenna look . . . or for manual transmissions or diesel engines.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
LOL - I must have the the European model (but not the U.K.one steering wheel is on the left!) - flex antenna mounted at the rear of the roof at the center . . .:):)

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
LOL - I must have the the European model (but not the U.K.one steering wheel is on the left!) - flex antenna mounted at the rear of the roof at the center . . .:):)
US 2009 and later have rear center antenna. I don't know if that was the first year for that, but I think it was.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
US 2009 and later have rear center antenna. I don't know if that was the first year for that, but I think it was.
Yup, our 2011 base model has the roof-mounted antenna, I think they put the XM antenna in the base. It's well back from the roof rack and does not interfere with our garage door - not an issue.

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
I saw one of the roof mount ones yesterday. It was only about 6 inches long. I would have thought it was for XM since it looks like a longer version of the "rat tail" XM antenna on my Accord. Makes me wonder where the antenna is on Accords w/o XM since they don't have the tail.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The XM antenna is usually just a small "puck" about an inch square, no boom or rod at all. That's why I think the XM bit is in the base of the roof-mounted antenna with the boom or rod part there for receiving AM/FM radio.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nope. You have a very U.S. (or North American) specific antenna which combines the XM antenna with the AM-FM antenna in a little stubby rod on the rear of the roof. It is not that flexible but can easily be removed by unscrewing it if you have roof rack issues.

If you look at the picture at the top of the thread (from 2005, BTW), you can see that the antenna is somewhat taller than used on late model US RAVs.

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
Looked at a bunch of antennas (antennae?) on 2011s at the dealer in Westerly RI today.
The Tundra and Takehomea have it on the fender like my '06.
The sedans must have it in the rear window glass because none had anything more than a bump on the roof center rear.(for XM?)
Any with a rear hatch, liftgate or door (RAV4) have a rat-tail about 6" long at the center rear of the roof.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts