Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my father in law has a 2014 rav4 and his radio quit working. It turns on but it stuck in some sort of cycle.

Here's a pic of it.

Any ideas what this is?

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
You might disconnect the battery for a few minutes to see if the radio will reset after reconnecting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try that. I just pulled the fuse and when I get back to the car (in store) I'll check if that made a difference. The fuse was fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just told that he took it to the dealership and they wanted to sell him a new radio for 1k. Then after complaining they said they could fix it for 100. That's a little sketchy to me. Hopefully I can find an answer online to fix it for him.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It should be under warranty. There shouldn't be ANY charge no matter what and Toyota should do whatever necessary to fix it!

Certainly never seen a screen like that on my 2014. Did anyone pull the nav sd card while it was on or anything? Not sure if it would even do what you are seeing, just thinking of answers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It should be under warranty. There shouldn't be ANY charge no matter what and Toyota should do whatever necessary to fix it!

Certainly never seen a screen like that on my 2014. Did anyone pull the nav sd card while it was on or anything? Not sure if it would even do what you are seeing, just thinking of answers.
We'll actually it's not since he works as a contractor he has over 45k miles on the car and the dealership sorry it's out of warranty. Even though he bought the car last year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Tia,

Sorry the radio ended up being replaced unfortunately. It was a used radio but it works now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have the same problem, i am wondering if anyone has found a fix, they wanted to sell me a radio for $2000, or send it to be refurbished for about 3 weeks,

i have tried

fuses/relays,
computer reset by touching terminals,
removed radio and checked capacitors and wiring,
and screaming at the radio using profane language,

unfortunatly none of those things worked,

im wondering if anyone knows of a way to hard reset the radio?, im sure there is some combination of buttons that will cause it to go into boot mode or something along those lines.

·
Registered
551 Posts
to force a reboot simply push and hold power/volume knob.
I've done it when my system froze.
system constsantly rebooting maybe caused by stuck power/volume knob.

but that screen in post #1 means it lost all power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. Just bought a used 2014 and the radio is doing the same thing. We worked in the price of a replacement radio into the deal don't worry. Hoping someone has found a solution before I replace the radio. Any luck??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Any updates?

The wife's 2014 limited was working fine on the way to the store last night. Got back in the car after shopping and now it's stuck in the constantly loading screen now too and hasn't worked since. (same screen as post#1) Only thing that works is the backup camera when car is in reverse.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hard reset = hammer!?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Best advice is check for any system updates after doing the system reboot by pushing and holding the volume knob in.

https://securedp.toyota.com/download-app/downloads
I already tried this, does not help. The factory system keeps trying to start up (update, load, etc, im not sure what it's doing) and then just appears to crash and restart.. and the loop just continues.

I've decided to just replace it with an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
huanab, how did you make out with the aftermarket unit?
If you changed the unit does everything still work - Bluetooth, Sirius, steering wheel controls?
Which unit did you purchase?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought a pioneer avic 8200nex head unit. I also bought the maesteo wire harness and control module along with the attenna adapter and usb adapter and backup camera adapter, so everything was plug and play and i retained steering wheel control. I forgot to buy the microphone adapter to use the oem mic, so i just hooked up the one from the pioneer unit. Everything works great, oem backup cam, blue tooth, steering wheel control... havnt checked sirus as i dont have a subscription.

huanab, how did you make out with the aftermarket unit?
If you changed the unit does everything still work - Bluetooth, Sirius, steering wheel controls?
Which unit did you purchase?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts