Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 2014 Rav4 XLE. I walked in to a Toyota service center and they told me that its a hardware issue and tried to sell me a new radio for 695$ + 100$(Installation).

I am fedup with this system and planning to replace it. i Dont need navigation, weather, etc. Any recommendations for a basic audio system with radio and bluetooth?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 2014 Rav4 XLE. I walked in to a Toyota service center and they told me that its a hardware issue and tried to sell me a new radio for 695$ + 100$(Installation).

I am fedup with this system and planning to replace it. i Dont need navigation, weather, etc. Any recommendations for a basic audio system with radio and bluetooth?
1. Your local car audio store could install something basic for $300 and up, depending on what you decide upon.

2. You could purchase another used radio on ebay. They have plenty to select from in a variety of used conditions.

3. If you feel like doing an install yourself you can try the Chinese sourced Android Radio's for about $350 http://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4-interior/282449-android-radio-10-inch.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I have the same vehicle as you and it went into contstant reboot mode.

My dealer said the radio needs replacing. I balked at the price so now I'm considering 3rd party options
or instlling a refurb unit myself.

Would you mind sharing the name of the Toyota dealer you went to ? Mine refuses to sell me a radio
unless they install it. This seems like a scam because the YouTube videos I watched make it look easy.

If I don't go 3rd party I will purchase from Toyota as long as I can do my own installation.

Thanks...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

The purchase price you referenced ($695 + $100) is much less thn my dealer quoted.
Would you mind sharing the name of your Toyota dealer ?

Thanks...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello Bricks,

I would go third party, I am saving up some funds and buying an android radio.

I made a big deal with my dealer and gave a very negative review on a service call about the radio.

The manager attempted to get a software update but he was told by the head office that a software upgrade would not fix it. I tried it myself by running the update but the unit does not read the USB key.

The manager gave me a cost of $749 (Canadian funds) but he told me that the unit is not new, it a refurbished one.

My thoughts are that the boards on the unit are causing the problem and they know about it and are doing nothing.

You are right it is easy to remove the radio, I removed mine to check the connectors if there was one loose but that did not resolve the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 RAV4 owner here. Bought it from a CarMax in March 2019. Went on a road trip last week (Oct 2019) and this started happening. Can't hard reboot with the power button, can't plug in the downloaded software onto a USB key because the system just stays in reboot (doesn't get to the screen you need to select the key), and just keeps cycling through over and over again. As others, the only thing it still does is the rear cam. Pretty annoyed this is clearly a known issue and now I'm stuck with a relatively new car I just purchased (to me, at least) and now I have to spend a lot more money to get it replaced because it's out of warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello, yes I know. I argued with the service manager at my local dealer and got nothing in return.
When it happened to me, I checked all connections and unplugged the battery and still the unit would just keep rebooting.
My guess, it is either software or hardware.
I just ordered a unit from China that will fit in the dash. Apparently it is plug and play, will see.
Once I install the new unit and remove the defective Toyota unit I will check all the boards and check for possible damage.
I understand your frustration, I have been there.
If it wasn't for the GPS and the rear camera features I would just put in a regular radio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, yes I know. I argued with the service manager at my local dealer and got nothing in return.
When it happened to me, I checked all connections and unplugged the battery and still the unit would just keep rebooting.
My guess, it is either software or hardware.
I just ordered a unit from China that will fit in the dash. Apparently it is plug and play, will see.
Once I install the new unit and remove the defective Toyota unit I will check all the boards and check for possible damage.
I understand your frustration, I have been there.
If it wasn't for the GPS and the rear camera features I would just put in a regular radio.
Would love to hear how things go with the new radio and what you find, if you're willing to come back and follow up!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Jump over to the long “Android Radio 10 inch” and you will learn everything about buying and installing it. Love mine and having no real issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was just told that he took it to the dealership and they wanted to sell him a new radio for 1k. Then after complaining they said they could fix it for 100. That's a little sketchy to me. Hopefully I can find an answer online to fix it for him.
to force a reboot simply push and hold power/volume knob.
I've done it when my system froze.
system constsantly rebooting maybe caused by stuck power/volume knob.

but that screen in post #1 means it lost all power.
How i do it you can send me that video

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my 2014 Rav4. Dealer said radio needs to be replaced at a cost of $1250. Ridiculous. With all the reports of the exact same issue in this vehicle I reported to Toyota, spent a lot of time emailing and on the phone with them but they basically said "too bad". So instead of trading up to a 4Runner in the next year as I planned I'm done with Toyota and will be going with another brand. Really is too bad, this Rav4 was my 4th Toyota. Way to lose a customer Toyota!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone ever found out why the 2014 Rav4 nav. system keeps rebooting? mine is doing this and nothing will reset or make it work. Dealership wants $1500 for a new one! Can't afford that nonsense but sucks having no radio etc. Is there a good system that can replace it that anyone knows of? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my 2014 Rav4. Dealer said radio needs to be replaced at a cost of $1250. Ridiculous. With all the reports of the exact same issue in this vehicle I reported to Toyota, spent a lot of time emailing and on the phone with them but they basically said "too bad". So instead of trading up to a 4Runner in the next year as I planned I'm done with Toyota and will be going with another brand. Really is too bad, this Rav4 was my 4th Toyota. Way to lose a customer Toyota!
Same thing happened to me, head office said basically "too bad" and wants $1500 (yeah right) , I'm a long time Toyota guy and am gonna make the switch next time. Glad to see I'm not the only one getting screwed here

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 RAV4 Radio/Nav just started doing this. You guys just saved me a lot of headache stress, I was worried something else might be going on. I won’t bother going to the dealer if it’s just the radio itself. I’ll look into 3rd party radios later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any updates?

The wife's 2014 limited was working fine on the way to the store last night. Got back in the car after shopping and now it's stuck in the constantly loading screen now too and hasn't worked since. (same screen as post#1) Only thing that works is the backup camera when car is in reverse.
My Toyota Camry does this as well. My back up camera works and the radio works, but it’s stuck on one channel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So my father in law has a 2014 rav4 and his radio quit working. It turns on but it stuck in some sort of cycle.

Here's a pic of it.

Any ideas what this is?
I had a little trouble starting it i told a friend of mine and he said disconnect the battery terminal wait for half an hour then put the two terminal together to reboot the system and thats when the radio starts doing this rebooting crap .not sure how to fix it as yet .good luck with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had disconnected the battery for half an hour then touched the two terminal for a few seconds then the radio start rebooting itself you know the blue screen and that white line running across the screen doesn't make it all the way across .so I just left it until the next day then just turn the key on didn't start it just turn it on the on Position and then it start working again. Hope this was helpful.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts