Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having display or other problems with their radio?

I have the standard radio/6 CD player that comes with the Limited. Intermittently the letters in the display are not displayed correctly...sometimes what should be individual letters in the display are all black or mostly black rectangles. This usually happens when I am going home from work, so maybe it is a heat problem since the car gets pretty warm sitting in the sun all day. Turning the radio on and off does not help, but it does reset if I turn the car off and back on.

Since the radio/CD still worked ok, I viewed this as an annoyance until recently I had another problem....none of the push buttons (including the on/off button) would work. I could increase and decrease the volume by turning the volume knob, but everything else seemed dead. I started randomly pushing all buttons. Finally one of them (track button, I think) caused the display to reappear normally and the buttons worked again.

Any ideas? Yes, I am going to go the dealer, but haven't had time to get there yet.

[Moderator Note: The following TSB was released by Toyota on January 25, 2007 :arrow: http://rav4world.com/tsb/2007/AU001-07.pdf ]

·
Registered
652 Posts
No answers but I would take a pic when it happens so if it doesn't when you get to the dealer he won't look at you like you're crazy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Janos said:
No answers but I would take a pic when it happens so if it doesn't when you get to the dealer he won't look at you like you're crazy.
That is a good idea! Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Alchemist said:
This usually happens when I am going home from work, so maybe it is a heat problem since the car gets pretty warm sitting in the sun all day.
I have had the same problem on a car I had a few years ago, and it was the extreame temps, that caused the problem. Also the problem occured in sub-zero temps as well. The problem never effected the operation of the radio though. As soon as the cabin reached a respectable temp the problem went away. As I recall at that time there was no dealer fix for the problem. Today I'm sure they'll just change out the radio.

C

·
0 Posts
>>I could increase and decrease the volume by turning
>>the volume knob, but everything else seemed dead.

I have had my RAV4 for ~ 10days now and have the JBL stereo. A few days ago, I discovered that the volume control would not work. This was while driving home from work. Next morning everything seemed to be OK. Later that day, saw the same problem!. I could turn the stereo on and off and adjust the treble/mid/bas, but no volume.

Sounds like a faulty rotary encoder on the volume control and am quite surprised given that I previously had a 96 RAV4 for 10 years with no problems whatsoever

- CalKiwi

R

·
0 Posts
I have the same problem. When I tap on the screen it starts
working again, must be a loose conection.

B

·
0 Posts
I have the same problem as the OP, plus occassionally the screen fails to display anything at all.

Its intermittant and, as suggested above, a tap on the screen usually fixes the problem.

I can live with it until the first scheduled service.

Excuse the crappy quality of the camera phone picture...

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm not expert, but I'd say that's a problem. :shock:

R

·
0 Posts
Same here, i'm taking it to the dealer this Monday which is the 12th.
Had the RAV4 since April 9, 2006.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I posted about this in another thread. My radio has popping/static on local FM stations. It has done this since day one. The dealer replicated the problem so the Rav is going in this week to have the radio replaced.

Funny thing- Just this weekend we took the car to pick up a pizza. I ran in to get it and when I came out my wife said something is wrong with the radio. It was doing exactly what the picture Baron G posted shows. It wasnt hot at all that day, and the Rav is parked in the shade at home, so I dont think its heat related. We turned the radio off and on and the problem went away. Im glad they are replacing the radio. Looks like we got some "bugs" in there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
same here

My radio looked exactly like the previous poster. It wasn't overly hot, and the sun doesn't shine on the display anyway. I am waiting to hear back from my dealer as I just sent all the pictures to them.

Janet

·
Registered
760 Posts
This could be a subliminal way of your Rav4 saying I'm homesick.
Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so!

On a serious note, it's in the low 100's here and I'm not getting that at all. One thing I noticed on the picture that differs from mine is how many CD's are in the changer, I only have one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thats interesting. When My radio did this, there was only one CD in it but it was an MP3 CD. I never noticed it when a music CD was loaded in.

S

·
0 Posts
Mine does it with either cd or MP3 or radio. Hot or cold does not matter either.

·
Registered
51 Posts
radio issue

I go in today for regular service and they are going to pull the model info off the radio and call toyota. If its a documented problem with a fix they will fix it otherwise they are replacing the radio. He said it shouldn't happen and clearly there is something wrong with it.

Janet

·
Registered
11 Posts
LCD Radio freakout

I have also been experiencing this problem. I don't believe it is heat related because the problem has happened to me after the car has been running for hours and is nice and cool.

I primarily use AUX mode for my XM Radio, and it has been an intermittent problem. In addition to the photo posted with black blocks, mine even goes so far as have gibberish symbols & characters SCROLL across the screen.

I was lucky enough for this to happen as I was driving by my dealership, so I stopped and made them come outside and look at it before I shut the car off. They ordered me a new radio about 3 weeks ago and just called to say it's in.

I could be mistaken, but I think that I have had another intermittent problem with sound quality. Two times last week (once on CD mode, once on AUX), my bass seemed to get obnoxiously loud. I had to turn bass level all the way down to -6 to make it sound ALMOST normal. I hope this new radio takes care of it. I'll certainly be watching this thread to see what everyone else experiences.

1 - 20 of 324 Posts