Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone else had this problem? the entire readout has nothing but giberish..
I'll upload a pic for ya'll to see ASAP... It only happens when it is extremely hot... Midday.

When I get into my car after work around 6 or 7 it doesn't show up...

But if I go for a drive 12-4... when it is really hot here in houston...

It happens just about every time...

my radio does work.. but the display goes bad...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm having the same problem. I'll look down and the radio display is just scrolling random characters. I'm taking it in to the dealer and asking them to replace the entire head unit/ 6 CD unit.

Seems very strange, but it works on mine to turn off/back on.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it happened to me when it got over 100 degrees. I drove it a few miles, then at a stop light turned off the ignition and restarted it and it went back to normal. Heat do mess with the LCD :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ToyotaLife said:
I'm having the same problem. I'll look down and the radio display is just scrolling random characters. I'm taking it in to the dealer and asking them to replace the entire head unit/ 6 CD unit.

Seems very strange, but it works on mine to turn off/back on.
You are probably starting a never ending cycle. They will replace the unit, but it will most likely happen on the new unit as well when it gets hot :?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have my sunscreen on the windshield, so now i don't get that problem any more.....Simple fix. Saves me some wasted time at the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem but it wasn't related to heat - just random, often in the morning in the garage. Dealer replaced the radio but within weeks the replacement radio was doing the same thing. A second replacement is on order. The service manager said, "I thought they would've changed to a better radio by now."

·
Registered
165 Posts
May be I should wait for a few month (07 model) or even mid next year (still under warranty) to report the radio problem unless it doesn't work at all. Hopefully, they find the bug and fix it by that time.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't had any problems with ours...and, we have had 100+ temps for weeks here. I don't have the fancy stereo system...just the one that comes with the base model. 99% of the time I do have a sunshade in while I'm parked for extended periods of time...but, I don't put it in if I'm just running in and out of a store.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recently started experiencing the same thing at about 4000 miles though I've also suspected the heat. Restarting the RAV takes care of the problem but it is strange...not too big of an issue...yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am having the same problem with my JBL at 3700 miles in a hot climate (Riverside, CA).

I plan on waiting another 6 months with the hope for a permanent fix.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it's so hot in houston!!!

FYI... i justed wanted everyone to know that after i took video of my faulty radio and showed my local toyota dealership what was going on... they promptly order me another radio. i had it replaced in about a week. I have purposely not got into my car since it has been replaced during afternoon hours because it's just so hot! 95 plus and sometimes the outside thermometer says it's over 100...

I need to test it out though to see if the replacement radio has the same defect. So far I've had it for 2-3 weeks with no problem!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've had the same issue going on for a couple of months now. Although I think the heat does make it worse, that's not the problem. Ours messes up whether it's parked in the sun or the garage. I'm not going to bother taking it in until I hear they have new improved replacement models.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts