Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We want to replace the factory standard Matsush ita/Panasonic EU radio/CD player head unit for a Kenwood DNX-4150-DAB 2 DIN navigation head unit.
In that case you will need a radio frame to adapt between the dash board and any standard 2 DIN radio.

Kenwood sells two kind of 2 DIN radio frames for the 2006-2011 EU RAV4.
The Kenwood CAW-2300-03 radio frame is in standard black.
The Kenwood CAW-2300-03-RT radio frame is in black rubber touch.

The dash board above the head unit is in rubber touch, so that would be nice for the radio frame too, but the dash board above the radio is dark gray, and not black. Call me a sniveller, but I think that in the end I will hate the discolouration.

Toyota has the factory standard radio frame 55410-42120-B0 in the gray colour and also in rubber touch, so that it will suite the dash board perfect!
Only one small problem, this radio frame has round innner corners, and is more wide to fit the Toyota TNS serie navigation radio's.
Toyota told me that I could order a Pioneer 00610-31300 trim set to click in the Toyota radio frame so that any 2 DIN radio would fit. Otherwise most common 2 DIN radio brands deliver this trim set with their radios's, most probably aslo Kenwood they said.

I searched the complete net, but no Pioneer 00610-31300 trim set to find. And the trim set Kenwood delivers with their 2 DIN radio's is a standard one, not with round corners to fit the Toyota RAV4 radio frame.

Is there anyone who bought the Toyota 55410-42120-B0 original radio frame, and made a 2 DIN radio fit with with some kind of trim set?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Because I found the original Toyota 2DIN radio frame far to expensive, I have bought the universal 2DIN radio frame, also advised by Kenwood.

I bought a new Kenwood 2DIN radio/Garmin nav head unit, so I would like the head unit and radio frame to fit as perfect as possible, like Alpine.

But then: I received the radio frame package and it is supplied with a tunnel-bracket which slides over the 2DIN head unit, nice...
But the radio frame is also supplied with two metal strips with copper slides, ment to perfect position and mount the radio.
Using both the tunnel-bracket and the metal strips with copper slides is not possible. So probalby I need to find out my self what to use then...
(When you install the metal brackets with copper slides it won't fit in the tunnel-bracket, then the radio with the metal brackets is to thick.)

Any one experienced with this radio frame, how to use it in combination with a 2DIN head unit?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After looking around on the net it looks like that in some cases you need to install the head unit first. Without the radio frame.
You need to disassemble the left- and right mounting brackets from the original head unit, and mount them on the new radio.
When the new radio is in place, then you need to install the radio frame. But it's not clear to me how to fix the radio frame.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That square bracket is meant to use those V shaped tabs to hold it against the molding.

Alternatively, with the original bracket mounted, does it line up with the opening(not too recessed? I would try my best to do it that way so that the molding is not taking the strain of holding that radio.

Hope this helps.

Edit:
Looking over it again, is an interesting design and is certainly intended for the molding to hold the radio, not the toyota bracket.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got an answer from the factory in Germany which holds the Patent on this so called unique radio frame design:
You need to use the complete bracket set and leave the original Toyota radio brackets. The complete radio hangs in the frame and bracket.

My first question after this answer is ofcourse: will this radio frame hold the heavy Kenwood radio then?
The frame only slides in the edges of the air vents, and is closed on the sides by the plastic trim parts with AWD and Emergency lights button.
I'm more convinced by using the original metal Toyota radio brackets which are screwed in the dash, but we will see soon when I get started.

On the other hand, the metal side brackets with copper positioning slides gives the opportunity to fix the radio perfect in the frame.
The radio front can be adjusted with the copper slides to align perfect with the surrounding framework, and that is the unique part.
And the radio slides in slightly downwards in to the dash, so the radio frame won't be taking all the strain of it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Installed the Kenwood 2DIN head unit without the original Toyota radio brackets. When you assemble the radio frame on the 2DIN radio you can put it in the dash, and it fits well and tight. Did not think that would be.
After the radio was installed I screwed the original Toyota radio brackets back in the dash, they still fitted, but are not fixed on to the radio. The only function they have left is giving the radio extra left-right support, not that this is needed, but anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.