Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After unhooking battery and alternator and working on door actuator lock where I had to lock unlock many time as the car alarm was turning on and off the stock radio doesn't hold it memory after turning off the motor.

Is there a fuse for the memory 12 v wire that keeps power to the radio so it can keep its memory when motor is off? I did arc off the power port of the alternator when I was removing it.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The fuse that maintains the radio's memory is a 15 amp fuse labelled "RADIO". It is located under the hood, at the left side (drivers side). It should be a blue fuse.

Note: there is also a 30 amp fuse labelled "RADIO 2", but this is used to power the amplifier only (if equipped with JBL).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 15 amp radio fuse is good. When pulled the radio doesn't work. Put in fuse and set preset then turned key off and on and there is memory. Will see how it works for today as wife took the Rav4 to the store.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
You may have a weak battery or loose connection which may not supply enough voltage to maintain a full charge. Check your battery voltage with a voltmeter with a load and without a load.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will check the battery and alt wiring. The problem still happens. After 1/2 hr in store, it was fine. Another stop and radio lost memory. Then later no memory issue.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,971 Posts
It sounds like the battery. The starter will still engage at 8 volts, but if the voltage to the radio dips that low, that could cause it to lose memory.

·
Super Moderator
11,338 Posts
It sounds like the battery. The starter will still engage at 8 volts, but if the voltage to the radio dips that low, that could cause it to lose memory.
I agree. The battery is on the edge of holding the radio memory yet is still starting the car.
Here's a test that could prove it: Before you start the car turn the key to the Acc or Run position and check the radio memory. Set something in if it has lost memory. Then start the engine. If the memory doesn't hold the battery is too weak to hold the radio's memory and very likely soon won't start the engine either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bingo. The positive terminal was working its way up the post and loose. Should be fine now that its tight.
Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
11,338 Posts
Bingo. The positive terminal was working its way up the post and loose. Should be fine now that its tight.
Thanks for the help.
Wow, that was too easy!
A lot of typing for nothing? :crying But at least we got our brains some exercise! :wink

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't like that the battery is hidden. Its out of sight, out of mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts