Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all:

I have a 2011 RAV4 Base with 36,000 miles and am looking to replace the (sucky) radio in the near future. The steering wheel does not have radio controls on it.

Do any of you know if the wiring for steering wheel controls is built in and all someone would have to do is install the buttons? Or would wiring have to be installed along with a new radio? I was searching the forums and could not find the answer to this question.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,757 Posts
To all:

I have a 2011 RAV4 Base with 36,000 miles and am looking to replace the (sucky) radio in the near future. The steering wheel does not have radio controls on it.

Do any of you know if the wiring for steering wheel controls is built in and all someone would have to do is install the buttons? Or would wiring have to be installed along with a new radio? I was searching the forums and could not find the answer to this question.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Yes, this has been done and discussed on this forum many times. You will need the buttons and a new clockspring (spiral cable) because the buttons require more wires. And you will probably need to run wires from the new clockspring to the radio plug. Search for clockspring or spiral cable in the 4.3 forums.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Junebug! I'll look up your search terms, but I have a feeling that the effort involved may get beyond my technical expertise or family budget.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts