Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Has anyone tried to convert their rain sensing wipers to regular variable intermittent wipers on a 2020 XLE?

Had my windshield replaced and now the rain sensing wipers don't work well at all (don't detect mist, don't work at regular intervals, etc.) and the halfwits at two different dealerships are telling me that there's nothing wrong with them.

I unplugged the rain sensor but the variable intermittent mode doesn't work at all. Wonder if there's a way to either program the rain sensor to tell the wipers that there's a flood outside or just route the wire and plug it into something else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I am having the exact same issue.

TL;DR version: the rain sensor isn't correctly glued/mounted onto the replacement windshield.

The unabridged version:
On a road trip this past February I got a rock chip that, within 5 minutes, developed into a crack that eventually made its way half way across the windshield. I first called Safelite and they estimated $1700 for an OEM replacement and $1300 for the non-OEM but they assured me it was the same quality as the OEM. I ran it through my car insurance so had to pay my $1000 deductible and they didn't give me a choice - they would only pay for the non-OEM.

About two hours after getting it back I noticed that the auto wipers weren't functioning. So, I called Safelite and made an appointment to have them investigate. In the week it took before my appointment, I found that if I just reached over and pushed lightly on the rain sensor my wipers would instantly kick in to spaz mode (aka the setting you use when it rains in the South). I could then turn the wipers off and back on to the auto setting and they'd actually work correctly for a little while. Next time I parked the car and then came back to drive it again the auto wipers would not be working again - so lather/rinse/repeat on the pushing of the sensor and turning them off/on.

Safelite ended up replacing the windshield a second time, again with the non-OEM version. Within two weeks my auto wipers were not working again. And, again, the little trick of pushing on the sensor and turning the wipers off/on would temporarily fix it.

I decided to look a little closer at the issue this second time around. When looking at the outside of the windshield where the sensor is located, you'll notice an approximately 1-inch square above a small circular opening. It was quite obvious that the top square portion was only about a quarter stuck to the windshield. When I pushed on the sensor on the inside and then went back and looked at the outside, the top square sensor portion was 99% contacting the windshield. It just doesn't stay stuck on.

After much back-and-forth with my insurance company and Safelite, they have agreed to source an OEM windshield and replace it a third time - this time with feeling ;-P

I'll let you know if that actually fixes it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am having the exact same issue.

TL;DR version: the rain sensor isn't correctly glued/mounted onto the replacement windshield.

The unabridged version:
On a road trip this past February I got a rock chip that, within 5 minutes, developed into a crack that eventually made its way half way across the windshield. I first called Safelite and they estimated $1700 for an OEM replacement and $1300 for the non-OEM but they assured me it was the same quality as the OEM. I ran it through my car insurance so had to pay my $1000 deductible and they didn't give me a choice - they would only pay for the non-OEM.

About two hours after getting it back I noticed that the auto wipers weren't functioning. So, I called Safelite and made an appointment to have them investigate. In the week it took before my appointment, I found that if I just reached over and pushed lightly on the rain sensor my wipers would instantly kick in to spaz mode (aka the setting you use when it rains in the South). I could then turn the wipers off and back on to the auto setting and they'd actually work correctly for a little while. Next time I parked the car and then came back to drive it again the auto wipers would not be working again - so lather/rinse/repeat on the pushing of the sensor and turning them off/on.

Safelite ended up replacing the windshield a second time, again with the non-OEM version. Within two weeks my auto wipers were not working again. And, again, the little trick of pushing on the sensor and turning the wipers off/on would temporarily fix it.

I decided to look a little closer at the issue this second time around. When looking at the outside of the windshield where the sensor is located, you'll notice an approximately 1-inch square above a small circular opening. It was quite obvious that the top square portion was only about a quarter stuck to the windshield. When I pushed on the sensor on the inside and then went back and looked at the outside, the top square sensor portion was 99% contacting the windshield. It just doesn't stay stuck on.

After much back-and-forth with my insurance company and Safelite, they have agreed to source an OEM windshield and replace it a third time - this time with feeling ;-P

I'll let you know if that actually fixes it.
Yeah definitely let me know if this works. I had no idea that windshields now have to be OEM to properly work with this garbage functionality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
You only need to put some gel between sensor and glass.
They just take out the sensor and filled the gap.
You don't need another windshield.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top