Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, anyone up for a Rav4 meet/rallycross coming up in Nov? The guys from the local SCCA are going to hold a rallycross at Altamont Raceway in Tracy so it's alot closer than the ones usually held at Willows. Anyone up for it? I hear it's going to be a combination tarmac/dirt course. It'd be nice to not be the only Rav4 there. :lol:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a link to some info about the rally cross happening down at Tracy.

http://www.sfrscca.org/RallyX/?altamont

So, anyone wanna go and meetup to do a bit of racing? It's fun. Heck, you don't even have to race if you don't want to. Some people just come to watch to see how everything goes and try next time like I did. If anything, I'd just like to see the Nor Cal Rav4 owners get together at least once with at least 5-10 Ravs or so no matter what year. So, how about it guys? With all the Ravs I see on the road everyday, you'd think some of us could do a little meetup at least once. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tarmac basically means paved. So the course will be a combination of part dirt/part paved road. Never been to Altamont Raceway so not sure what the layout is like. Las ttime I ran my car was in street stock class and that's with the K&N filter and Tanabe exhaust. They were still in the process back then of implementing more stricter control on classes. I'd probably be in street modified now while only people who have absolutely no performance parts would be in stock. Yeah, you should definitely try it. Tracy's alot closer than Willows was so I'm hoping people would be more tempted to go with it being alot closer so hopefully more events would follow if its popular enough.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, looking over the current rules, it seems they didn't change a thing from last time I ran. So for street stock, you're allowed to have aftermarket intakes, catback exhausts, & modified ecu's. Most probably have the first two if anything so there wouldn't be a problem with them racing in stock class which is where everyone should start in the first place. So any takers?[/i][/b]

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Let's do it! If not for the racing, then at least to see Slayer's car! I've been loving that thing since you put it up on cardomain.com.

Any takers?
Let's make a list:

SLAYER
ZOOMIE

(Add your name)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I've been wanting to hear what your CAI sounds like and how your ride's changed with your Koni shocks. I'm game for sure. What about Ron?Hope Garfieldgurl's still game to come down for the rally. Hope more people give a thumbs up on going, too. It'll be fun even if its just to see me come in last. :p :wink:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I think i'll do it... and no Slayer, YOU will be the one seeing me come in last, hehe :p.

I went paintballing with my bf and some of his friends, and part of the road was dirt, and i just got excited driving on it and making a lot of dust, so one of my friends said "yeah... offroading!" and i was like this is sooo cool, i think i'll go offroading next time for real. So that's my story and the reason why i'll do it, hehe. So it's us three right? It'll be cool to see more Ravs in the rally :D.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I had that exact same experience, except i was too wimpy with the rav4 b/c i'm was too chicken to get rocks spitting up onto my neons. secretly, i'm hoping they break so i can get a color changing LED wireless version.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great, so we'll have at least three of us definite, right? Cool. If more people come so much the better but at least there's be three of us for the first ever Nor Cal Rav4 meet. :p :p Somethings I should tell you guys. If you've got anything loose lying around your Rav, take 'em out before you come like stuffed animals, cds, whatever. That's just so they don't go flying around while you're driving the course. Of course, I tried to stuff anything I had in all the available compartments in the back. Some people just brought a tarp or basket to put all their stuff in before getting on the course. If you guys are afraid of rock chips damaging your Rav, the guys at the rally usually use that blue painter's tape to mask of certain areas like headlights, side panels, etc. I have that so you guys don't have to worry about buying that. The only other thing you really might need is an air pump if you plan on running with higher tire pressure and an air pressure gauge. I have the gauge just not the pump. I ran last time at 31psi and had no problems so I don't really see the need to bring a pump. But if one of you guys have one, it couldn't hurt.

So you guys wanna preregister or just register at the race? It's usually best to preregister so you already have your number and job set up. Oh whoops, did I forget about jobs? That's another things I need to mention. Usually, the race is set up so that while one group races, another group works the course. You could be anything from the time keeper, runner, flagger, starter, etc. Usually newbies like us get set up as flaggers meaning if a car hits a cone, we wave a flag to signal a down cone and just go and put it back up. Easy.They really do this to save money as hiring official track personnel is expensive. Plus, it's fun being right there in the middle of a course with a STI drifting thru a corner.
:p :p

Both of you have 2wd, right? Oh man, guess we won't be racing on the same class. Well, we can still compare our times later. I hope they have a long technical course like last time.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Yeah, mine is a 2WD. I didn't have the necessity of paying an extra $3k just to make it 4WD, plus i bought my baby when there were only like 5 Ravs left at the dealership: 2 green ones, one red, one white, and an L package, which of course was more than what i could afford. Anyways.... so to which category will i belong to? Will i be driving on dirt? Cuz to be honest, that's what i want :twisted:. Oh, btw Slayer, are there a lot of little rocks and stuff? Did you tape your car to protect it? C'mon, give us the whole story :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Taping up your car is really dependent on you and the particular course. The one I went up to in willows was mostly soil and mud so I didn't really feel I needed to, but some folks who had brand new cars or didn't want to risk it, taped up their cars. I didn't find any damage to my Rav afterwards. We'll have to check the course to see if its got any rocks on it beforehand. Looks like the Altamont course will be a combination of tarmac and dirt so you'll have a little of both. What percentage of each? We probably won't know till we get there or maybe ask one of the people laying out the course by email. But for sure, there'll be dirt and you'll get four runs thru it.

If you have no mods beyond a catback exhaust, aftermarket intake and modified ecu, you'll be in the stock class like me except you and Zoomie will be in 2wd Street Stock while I'll be in 4wd street stock. Before the race we can walk the course to see what it's like. This is the time you try to get to know the course with its tight turns and straights so you'll kinda know where to accelerate and where to brake. Then before each classes' runs, we get a parade lap around the course where all vehicles in that class get to drive once slowly around the course. That's justo familiarize yourself more with the layout. Other than that, it's race time.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Is this a surprise or a disappointment Slayer?....my rav4's a 4wd too! We're a bit slower and heavier, but I'm sure we'll turn on the courses a bit better. I'm sure garfieldgurl will beat us from the line on a straightaway easily though.

So who else is in on this? 3 sounds good to me. I'm in if it's on a weekend or anday after 2:30pm. Let me know.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Another back to back posting.

All who wish to attend, please pm me your name and contact info. Email and phone would be great. We need to keep in touch on the way there and when we get to SCCA Rally Cross. I'm about to make this thing official! Thanks Slayer for all this.

·
Registered
875 Posts
i keep finding bad stuff:

From the website:

"Sport Utility Vehicles and trucks are required to have full roll cages and are subject to the approval of the Safety Steward. Vehicles with bolted-on hardtops and fixed roll bars may be granted special allowance by the Safety Steward."

Are we considered SUV's or not? But Slayer, you've done this before right? Same course, same company?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, you need helmets but most people there usually bring their own so they have alot of loaner helmets available. Might just want to bring some wet napkins or something to wipe the insides just in case you're sharing with someone. As for the roll cage thing, nah, we don't need them. They consider our Ravs as car based SUVs so we're not in the same catagory as truck based SUV or pickups. So we needn't worry about that. These are the same guys I raced with before. It's just on a different raceway. It's on A SUnday so it's definitely a weekend and Tracy's not so far off from anyone of us in the bay so its a good day trip. Willows was 3 hours away so I had to get a motel room to stay in. Actually, I'm glas you have 4wd. I always thought your had a 2wd for some reason. That means you and me in the same class. :wink:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hey Slayer, have you ever done the fun runs?

The thing starts at 8am, so that means i will have to get up early that sunday... noooooooooo... although my weekends are for sleeping in, this is a special occassion :D.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't get to go on the funs runs last time but I wished I did. I had to leave as soon as my job as flagger was done so I could make the 3 hour trip home from Willows before sundown. With Tracy not so far off, I'll probably stick around for the fun runs if possible. Yeah, you really want to be there around 8am if possible. Lots of things to do like register and pay if you hadn't already, do a simple safety checklist on your vehicle, check in your helmet if you have one, get your car's number and paint or tape it on your window, and most importantly, walk the course. There's also a driver's meeting at 9AM for safety concerns, signup for jobs, etc. Then we get started at 9Am if your nerves haven't frayed from all the waiting. I know mine was. :p :p

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So you guys preregistered yet? You can preregister right now and just pay when you get there. At least that way, you're already on the list and already been placed in a group. I just did it today. I can hardly wait. Gonna take my video cam and get us all on our runs.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts