Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally upon startup - usually first thing after setting over night, the enging makes a ratcheting sound. Like a ratchet wrench on the back stroke. Just does it about 3 in 10 first starts in morning. I'm guessing it has something to do with a belt.

Any suggestions where to start looking?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
What model year? What mileage? What engine do you have?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Occasionally upon startup - usually first thing after setting over night, the enging makes a ratcheting sound. Like a ratchet wrench on the back stroke. Just does it about 3 in 10 first starts in morning. I'm guessing it has something to do with a belt.

Any suggestions where to start looking?
If it's happening when you're starting the engine, I would be looking at the starter. A failing Bendix gear (The part of a starter that engages with the engine flywheel to turn over the engine.) that is sticking when out (Engaged with the flywheel.), will make a rattling sound once the engine starts before it disengages from the engine flywheel and retracts. Normally, the Bendix gear pops back in immediately when the engine actually starts.

This condition can cause serious damage to the teeth of the engine flywheel, in most cases, needing the engine removed to replace the flywheel. If the sound persists more then a few seconds, turn the engine off to prevent damage and have the starter checked.

If this is a high mileage car, with mostly around town with lots of starts and stops, then the starter is probably showing it's age.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's happening when you're starting the engine, I would be looking at the starter. A failing Bendix gear (The part of a starter that engages with the engine flywheel to turn over the engine.) that is sticking when out (Engaged with the flywheel.), will make a rattling sound once the engine starts before it disengages from the engine flywheel and retracts. Normally, the Bendix gear pops back in immediately when the engine actually starts.

This condition can cause serious damage to the teeth of the engine flywheel, in most cases, needing the engine removed to replace the flywheel. If the sound persists more then a few seconds, turn the engine off to prevent damage and have the starter checked.

If this is a high mileage car, with mostly around town with lots of starts and stops, then the starter is probably showing it's age.

Have a good day.
Thanks a lot. The sound has only lasted about a second so far. I'll know what to do now if it persists longer. I suppose it would be a lot easier to replace the starter now than to chance the flywheel going out.

The 2007 car has about 160k miles. The car was bougnt used about a year and a half ago. It had lots of lumps and bumps suggesting a lot of time in parking lots with things falling against it or carts crasing into it etc. I bought it primarily because the engine compartment and undercarriage looked clean (indicating it didn't see much off-road use) and the engine sounded and drove stront with no suspicious sounds - until now.

I should add tha about a month ago I ran over a big rig tire re-tread on the freeway going about 65. I was caught not seeing it until I had no opening to change lanes safely and figured I could just drive over it with no damage. Took out my splash guard but that seemed all it did. But I'm worried now it may have hit the starter - or something connected to the serpentine belt.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would jack up the front on the side that took the hit from the tread kicking up and take a good look to see what was impacted.

A good solid hit to the starter could shift it just enough to cause it to bind once in a while. If the noise started after the tread incident, I would be looking very closely at the starter. Loosen the starter bolts and see if there is any movement available to reset it.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts