Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I let my car sit while I was away for a month & my neighborhood recently moved large drainage piping from under some roadways and when I came home and rats chewed through my wiring harness and I need to figure out which is which for splicing them back together.

I was curious if you had any wire color codes for a 2007 Toyota Rav4 Limited 4WD. They chewed through the wires that run across the inside of the back of the car that goes from driver side to Speed sensors then to the passenger side to the rear RH combination light harness .

I need to figure out which wires which and it will be a pain tracing them all back.
The highleted bit is the wiring floor harness and the green is 2 places they chewed where they chewed through on both sides.

Any kind of info would mean the world to me and save me $2500 quote from the dealer.

Whole right rear brake light was out. With no rear right side (turn signal, stop light ,rear running light and no backup light) All right side rear.

I spliced the W-B back together and got my rear right turn signal back.

I'll post more pictures later and post all the wires I'm seeing that will need splicing back together. Once I go back outside and look some more.

Anyone have some advice or info with tracing these

Update: I need to recount the wires on each side but rough estimate.

Left side = 14ish wires.
Right side after it passes both rear speed sensor harness connectors = 11 ish wires

LR WSS = Small 22g 1x black & 1x white
RR WSD = Small 22g 1x Green & 1x Red
Rear wiper = Pink & Either blue/light blue

Attachments

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
There is a vent at the back by rear passenger side where fresh air circulates. I would cover the vent with mesh wire to prevent the rat or mouse from gaining entry. I think you need to remove the bumper to gain access to that since it is near the bottom of the quarter panel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a vent at the back by rear passenger side where fresh air circulates. I would cover the vent with mesh wire to prevent the rat or mouse from gaining entry. I think you need to remove the bumper to gain access to that since it is near the bottom of the quarter panel.
I appreciate it. I looked in the back right. Those bastards chewed through that plastic cover that comes through with that vent. I'm gunna grab some wire mesh like you suggested.
Later today I'm gunna use a fox n hound tracer and get these wires mapped out.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I appreciate it. I looked in the back right. Those bastards chewed through that plastic cover that comes through with that vent. I'm gunna grab some wire mesh like you suggested.
Later today I'm gunna use a fox n hound tracer and get these wires mapped out.
Here is a good thread with pictures of a mesh protecting that vulnerable area.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would just splice the existing wires by soldering and using heat shrink tubes over each wire and over the whole chewed part. All of the shrink tubes need to be positioned on wiring before soldering.
Walmart has a pack with several sizes available at Auto department (around the stereos).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That S**t sandwich part of it was that they chewed through 2 different sides of that wire harness that runs from the bottom left to right side. That wire then traces upwards and around the amp to the k12 connector (rr combo light & some into the I think q3 connector that goes into the tail door for lights and wipers.

The 4x Blue/yellow (gold dot on the wire) was the hardest to trace.

@DL175 thanks for that post I sealed those up. & it's exactly what I needed.

For anyone dealing with similar issues I have some wiring diagrams for I think 97-12 that are fairly accurate.

Fyi:
RearLH Left WSS wire color = Red & Green 22g pair wires
RRH = White & Black pair 22g
Keep in mind that this bundle contains wires ranging from 22g awg stranded to 16.

There was enough slack in the main bundle to disconnect a plastic clip with tape and move it down to give me 4 inches of original wire to splice back together.
First I ID'd what I could. Traced what was easy and wire nuted it together. Tested brake turn backup. Etc
Some of them once I stripped 4/16ths of it I could tell with the red & one was dramatically smaller . You'll encounter that.

TlDR = Spliced together . Soldered the twisted pairs. Little dab of liquid tape topped with twist of HIGH quality electrical tape . Bent one pair one direction and another in a different one so that no matter what if they were ever exposed the short wouldnt happen in exact bundle area. And wrapped that bad boy up right with tape. It looks like it was when toyota wrapped it.

Replaced both RL RR WSS

Yay all fixed 4 dash lights are out.Abs, brake, 4wd

Thanks for the help fellas !

·
Registered
165 Posts
This started around 2011-2012 when manufacturers (Germans were first) decided to make biodegradable wire insulation, with soy. Rodents (in residential USA) love that. Honda for example had to wrap the wires with a tape drenched in pepper spray liquid.
There are several class action law suits:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts