Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had an incurable rattle in the dash? Mine has been to the dealer 4 times over the past year and within a week its back.

·
Registered
422 Posts
EVERYBODY has had an incurable rattle in the dash! :lol: Okay, that's exaggerating a little bit, but I do think most of us have. There are at least two different things, a ticking sound at the base of the windshield around the center of the dash, and a loud squeak over bumps and such. There are probably others too, but I think those are the two we talk about most, and they are the two I have.

There are TSBs for them (click "TSBs" in the top frame of this site) that may or may not help your dealer in correcting them. If you've already had it in four times, they've probably already applied the TSBs though, I would hope.

I've only taken mine in for a fix once when I knew I would be going on a 9 hour round-trip road trip, and it did work until we hit a nasty bump on the ride home from that road trip, which made it come back right then and there. I'll take it in again at some point when I feel like taking another day off work. :D

There are a number of posts here with various fixes that people here have used, many with success. Basically I think you've just got to keep plugging away at it until it goes away, because it's very much a hit-or-miss prospect.

For what it's worth, with rare exceptions the rattle is probably the only problem you'll have with your Rav for many years...they're close to perfect otherwise! :wink:

Good luck!

Becky

·
Registered
132 Posts
ritchgrah said:
Has anybody had an incurable rattle in the dash? Mine has been to the dealer 4 times over the past year and within a week its back.
Yeah, had it "fixed" by the dealer twice, but kept coming back after 2 or so days. Anyway thanks to Kelly and all the great people in this site, I decided to fix it myself.

http://members.tripod.com/ri_rav4/cowl_fix.htm
It's also in the "Links" page, under "Maintenance Favorites" in this site.

It's worked fine for me. I still hear a chirp/sqeak/tick every now and then but nowhere as bad as before.

Cheers!

Philo

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try my fix. I had posted this info before. This ticking noise is very irritating!! I had this fixed 5 yrs ago and never came back. How many times have I said to people. All the place and cure is wrong. It's the under side of the plastic cowl that make the ticking noise. Remove it and you will see the thin flakey palstic that will make a ticking noise and get transmitted underneath the dash.

I will say it once more time, if anyone interested in my fix, post here and I will explain more.

·
Registered
132 Posts
nomoretoy said:
Try my fix. I had posted this info before. This ticking noise is very irritating!! I had this fixed 5 yrs ago and never came back. How many times have I said to people. All the place and cure is wrong. It's the under side of the plastic cowl that make the ticking noise. Remove it and you will see the thin flakey palstic that will make a ticking noise and get transmitted underneath the dash.

I will say it once more time, if anyone interested in my fix, post here and I will explain more.
I'm interested.... Tell us your secret.. :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Phourwheel said:
ritchgrah said:
Yeah, had it "fixed" by the dealer twice, but kept coming back after 2 or so days. Anyway thanks to Kelly and all the great people in this site, I decided to fix it myself.

It's worked fine for me. I still hear a chirp/sqeak/tick every now and then but nowhere as bad as before.

Cheers!

Philo
Props to the (RAV4 Resource) web site whoever you are :?: I just replaced my battery and discovered how cheaply made the battery cover is on the RAV. After reinstalling the cover the OEM screws and clips were trashed. I used this fix to secure the battery cover which is a much better set-up than Toyota’s factory installation.

RAVON 8)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nomoretoy said:

sure, I'm interested since I have same problem different at different speed.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phourwheel said:
ritchgrah said:

Cheers!

Philo
Philo,
Thanks for posting this! It was maddening to sit in the car with the rattle. The only thing I could add is I had to add some foam padding to the entire cowl not just over the battery. That did the trick, noise is gone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts