Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Rav4 V6 Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is this pretty noticeable rattle coming from the front of the car towards the passenger side. No sounds when the car has come to a stop but works up when driving over minor and major bumps. It sounds like something is loose but we can't figure it out. We have replaced the ball joints and the passenger cv axle; plus I was thinking about struts, springs and shocks replacement but I'm trying to avoid it as much as possible due to funding. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Sway bar end links? If you get a metal sound going over bumps then have a look at the sway bar end links. There should not be any play.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I went through almost 3 years of a similar situation that progressed worse during the winter cold months, disappear in the summer, then eventually remain present all the time. It was very noticeable when shifting to reverse. I recently changed out all 4 OEM engine mounts and problem solved. However, i do believe the engine mount related to the sounds coming from the passenger side is the top left side (near the serpentine belt). It is hard to inspect it and not until it was removed it became clear the rubber was torn/dry rotted out. Google/you tube engine mount rattle for rav4 and there is a video uploaded by an owner in which the sounds recorded were exactly at the peak of annoyance for my 08 sport I4 AWD. Total mileage is 109k all mounts replaced with OEM parts.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Engine mounts: Can be visually checked with two people. Engine running, parking brake and normal brakes applied, one person shift in D. The other films the engine displacement inside the engine bay.
Sway bar links: Will be heard when driving over asymmetric bumps - like a wheel on a speed bump and the other in the flat gutter. Or in sharp turns.
Struts: Heard even on symetrical bumps (both wheels over a speed bump) or hard braking. Sometimes pushing the car down with the hand will do that.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree the engine displacement can be used as a metric to determine if engine mounts are the root cause for the engine displacement. However, i had no idea what the acceptable displacement is and whether or not it was related to the rattle. In addition, for my specific case the engine displacement is no different with the new OEM engine mounts. I will load pictures later for those interested in seeing the old damaged engine mounts.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Rack is worn on passenger side, internal bushings failed. 07 had same issues, replaced almost everything in front related, i DIY'd it without dropping subframe or lifting engine.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Rack is worn on passenger side, internal bushings failed.
At how many miles? Are those hydraulic units? The 2009 and newer has electric ones.

Rant: I am worrying more and more about my decision to by a Toyota at this point. I own a Ford Exporer and a Mercury Sable from 2001, with 200k miles, and none of them needed the rack replaced. Same with the 1996 Mercury Sable that I owned before. Only the top pressure sensor failed and started to leak, but that's an easy replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts