Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing a slight rattle coming from the front passenger door/wheel area. It's really hard to tell where it is coming from. It seems to only rattle when I roll over bumps in the road (speed bumps it doesn't make any noise) or if the road is rough. I can only hear this at slow speeds. Anything over 35 mph and I don't hear the rattle. It makes no difference if I'm turning and I feel no vibration in the steering. I had the dreaded knock around 60k and had a bunch of stuff replaced from the TSB under my extended warranty. Other than that, nothing has been done to the front end or even in the area other than replacing the brake pads, rotors, new tires, and alignment. It's been doing this for quite some time and I'm getting a bit paranoid that it may leave me stranded. I did a simplistic check of the struts last night by exerting a good bit of force above the passenger side front wheel at the seam between the hood and quarter panel. It seems pretty solid and no bounce. I had read another thread where a guy was experiencing something similar and he installed some felt pads in his passenger door. I haven't tried this yet as I would think the noise would sound like it was coming more from the interior than outside. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Year, drive & mileage please.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
This may sound simplistic. I've had similar rattles in my RAV and traced them to objects in the glove box and in one instance to my wife's having not allowed the passenger seat belt to retract completely and the buckle was rattling against the interior post. Hopefully your rattle will be as inconsequential as mine have been!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
This may sound simplistic. I've had similar rattles in my RAV and traced them to objects in the glove box and in one instance to my wife's having not allowed the passenger seat belt to retract completely and the buckle was rattling against the interior post. Hopefully your rattle will be as inconsequential as mine have been!
Same here, one time it was sunglasses in the holder, another time the rattle was caused by my wife leaving her hairband in the compartment below the A/C controls.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I have a few rattles and buzzing in mine but it's not a luxury vehicle so if I can't find it right away, I don't worry about it. I doubt they would ever leave you stranded.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I did a simplistic check of the struts last night by exerting a good bit of force above the passenger side front wheel at the seam between the hood and quarter panel. It seems pretty solid and no bounce.
Did you see any signs of leakage down the side of the strut? I had to replace my right front strut at a fairly low mileage a few years ago but it was making a solid clunking noise over bumps not just a rattle.
Two other thoughts: bad sway bar bushings, and the simplest one - loose lug nuts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No leakage thankfully. Last weekend when I finished my brake job and brake fluid flush I made sure the lug nuts were torqued to 76 ft lbs. I was afraid this was something more serious but I wanted to try the simple things first. Before leaving work yesterday I untwisted the seat belt on the passenger side since it appeared to be wedged between the seat and door and cleaned out the compartment above the glove box. The noise is gone. Not sure what was causing it but I'm guessing it was the seat belt.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Good to hear that you apparently solved the noise problem and that the cause was a simple one to resolve after all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts