Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually have my sunroof cracked open and with the sunshade all the way back, it rattles when the road gets a little bumpy. Anybody else notice this?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SeriousBlack said:
no problems here
That's great. I'll have to look into this some more. I just ordered my rear bumper protector from Ebay. Didi you do anything to protect yours?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
etop said:
I usually have my sunroof cracked open and with the sunshade all the way back, it rattles when the road gets a little bumpy. Anybody else notice this?
My MoonRoof rattles quite a bit on Bumby roads, especially if its cold???? I took it to the dealer in the midle of the day and it wouldn't do it. Next morning it did it again. I am living with it. :D

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SeriousBlack said:
etop said:
SeriousBlack said:
no problems here
That's great. I'll have to look into this some more. I just ordered my rear bumper protector from Ebay. Didi you do anything to protect yours?
No, I havn't bought the bumper protector. I did order a hood protector and sunroof deflector, just waiting for them.
I had some bags of mulch in the back on a tarp and when I slid them out I received some minor scuf marks. Wish I has the bumper protect sooner. Don't wait until its too late.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
flyingn said:
etop, our sunroof does not rattle
Its not the sunroof, its the shade. When the sunroof is cracked open and the sunshade is all the way back, It seems loose in its tracks. Its not the wind that makes it rattle, its the vibration from the road at times. Like RR tracks or cobble stone streets.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think that my shade may have done the opposite--rattle when it's closed instead of open. But I think it was noticable in the colder weather and it may not even do it now.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Sunroof Rattles

Drove with the sunroof open - not the first time - except today it set up a nasty rattle on rough roads.

Never noticed it on the highway though the weather hasn't permitted it but a few times. Our Limited is 4 months old / 3,000 miles. Not a good sign :( but fortunately there are no other unnatural noises.

I'll have to get to the dealer to have it checked out before something falls off :roll: .

·
Registered
143 Posts
We have the rattle too...... but I found it's at the front edge of the sunroof.

If you feel in the slot at the front, there is a "bar" or "flap" there.

With a simple light push or light pressure, it seems to settle this bar for the short term. When it does start to make noise, I open the shade if it isn't already, slip may fingers in, push forward and down a little...... and it's gone.

It's become second nature already; I don't even think about it when I do it. :wink:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
sunroof rattle

The E said:
We have the rattle too...... but I found it's at the front edge of the sunroof.

If you feel in the slot at the front, there is a "bar" or "flap" there.

With a simple light push or light pressure, it seems to settle this bar for the short term. When it does start to make noise, I open the shade if it isn't already, slip may fingers in, push forward and down a little...... and it's gone.

It's become second nature already; I don't even think about it when I do it. :wink:
I'll get ours to the dealer this week. I suspect some additional padding or insulating buffer is required to eliminate the rattle. Overall our Rav4 is quiet so this noise is not music to my ears.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine has started to do this too after a morning driving on some bumpy dirt roads. It didn't do this before. I'll have to check if it's the sun shade or the sunroof. I've ben assuming it's the sunroof. I always open mine up all the way, so all I know is that it rattles when I go over bumps such as railroad tracks or speed bumps or potholes. It's quite unenjoyable and I'm going to have it looked at this week when I take her in for her 10,000 checkup.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Took mine in for repair. It was definitely the sunroof and not the shade. They fixed it by re-corking something or other.

Well, after 2 weeks the rattle is back. I've been doing normal driving. No dirt roads or the like.

I've made another appointment. They say they need to get the service foreman involved.

The rattle is bad enough that I don't see how I could "live with it" for another 8 years or so. Heck, I had a 1993 4Runner with a moonroof that never made a peep. I'm not sure how they're going to fix this, but I know that it certainly needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My brand new one rattles (seems to come from behind the moonroof - near the right reat grab handle). I am thinking of trying to get some foam wedged up in there...

·
Registered
96 Posts
eitingon said:
My brand new one rattles (seems to come from behind the moonroof - near the right reat grab handle). I am thinking of trying to get some foam wedged up in there...
Near the what?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine rattles...

In search of a cure. When a little pressure is applied when sitting on the passenger seat directly upwards it stops. Will have to add to list of to do's Will post remedy, if found :wall

1 - 20 of 21 Posts