Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an intermitten rattle in the headliner above the drivers side rear passenger seat. It seems to ne 3 to 4 inches from the handle above the door. We hear it while driving down the road and when closing the doors. It sounds like something bouncing on the headliner. The dealer thought it was the handle above the door and replaced it but to no avail. I really hate to have them pull the headliner as my experience has been it will never be right. Has anyone had this same problem and what was the fix? Thanks in advance.

·
0 Posts
Check the seat belt that's in the headliner.. For some reason it pops out of the lock position.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked that first thing and it's not that for sure. The rattle is either the headliner itself vibrating against the roof or something in there like a wire or some unknown item. If I could put something in between the headliner and the roof I'm pretty sure it would cure it. I just don't know how to gain access to it. Don't really have a lot of confidence in my dealer now. May try to live with it.

·
0 Posts
You can remove the rear dome light, and feel around up there.. There is a nice gap between the liner and the roof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill: Just following up on your advice I rechecked the seat belt that I had stored in the headliner. I removed it from the 'holder' and just clicked it in to the fastener on the seat. After doing that it hasn't rattled. It will go a couple of days sometimes and not rattle but I think(really hope) you are right. I will let you know. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately the rattle is still with me!!!!!! The rear center seat belt holder in the headliner is not the issue.:crying

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a similar rattle today. It was really driving me nuts, as the car is a mere 2 days old.

It turned out to be my sunglasses rattling in the compartment at the center/top of the windshield (that appears to be made for glasses, but doesn't seem to have kind of padding to remove rattling noises.)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Might be the rear center cup holder, when it's in down position??/ This drove me crazy until I accidentally got a coat underneath it and the rattle disappeared. Now we have an old soft neck-rest cushion we just put under it. Apparently the hinges are not tight, so it rattles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Might be the rear center cup holder, when it's in down position??/ This drove me crazy until I accidentally got a coat underneath it and the rattle disappeared. Now we have an old soft neck-rest cushion we just put under it. Apparently the hinges are not tight, so it rattles.
This is an interesting take. I'll drive to work with it down, since I never really keep track. As they say, though, correlation isn't causation but in this case it might just be linked to it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have an intermitten rattle in the headliner above the drivers side rear passenger seat. It seems to ne 3 to 4 inches from the handle above the door. We hear it while driving down the road and when closing the doors. It sounds like something bouncing on the headliner. The dealer thought it was the handle above the door and replaced it but to no avail. I really hate to have them pull the headliner as my experience has been it will never be right. Has anyone had this same problem and what was the fix? Thanks in advance.
I have the exact same issue, but on the exact opposite side. Is it possible that the sunroof drain hose could be the problem and could be installed / ran on either side? Hubby actually pushed hard on the area and the rattle stopped, but started again when he released it. Like you I don't want to touch the headliner. I turn the tunes up louder instead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a brand new RAV4 and am encountering the exact same issue. The rattle is intermittent but hugely annoying. Has anyone resolved this. My dealer also changed the handle to no avail. I sometimes hear the rattle when the car is stationary at a traffic light!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts