Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 RAV4 I4 with 2AR-FE engine (mileage 18K miles) gives a rattle noise about 1-2 seconds every morning and also when the engine has been sitting for a while 4-5hrs. This behavior started immediately after an oil change at 5,000 miles. Oil Mobil 1 5W-20 with Toyota filter Fuel pump has been physical inspected and confirm to be OK, no sludge after opening the oil pan. Filter element replaced to rule out faulty anti-drain back valve I'm so worried that they are opening so many parts of the engine without a solution. what is so disturbing is the fact that I never had any such noise when I bought the vehicle until after the 5,000 miles service was carried out when it was due for oil change at 18,000miles. Any ideas??? Please help

Could my vehicle be affected by Toyota's TSB 0041-13 or just a coincidence after the oil change. My VIN is 2T3YF4DVXBW098399. Can someone assist to confirm if it falls under the VIN listed under inside Toyota's TSB 0041-13.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If I'm reading correctly, you are covered by the TSB, as I believe it is for cars produced prior to the last 6 digits of the VIN, which (I think) is the production sequence:

2T3BF4DV#CW264373 for AWD

2T3YF4DV#CW153020 for 2WD

Your VIN shows your RAV was manufactured 11/2011, so hopefully you are still under the 5-year/ 60k-miles powertrain warranty. Man, 18k is such low miles-- I hope it's not your problem, but at least you are covered.

Question for you: have you always used the Mobil 1 5W-20 synthetic, or was this your first time? It may not be a factor as it is generally regarded as one of the best oils, and I was planning to switch to it in my 2009 I4.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
SLADsys..... Put in your VIN at Toyota site to find any recalls Lookup Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns by VIN
Always a good idea to check that site. But unfortunately, it wouldn't be listed there, as it is not a recall or service campaign. Just a routine TSB which helps dealers identify a problem and how to fix it. At this stage, you'd need to be under warranty for dealer to pay for it. If it became more commonplace, Toyota could declare an extended warranty or some such.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, I'm in Nigeria where Toyota Nigeria Limited doesn't offer warranty to used vehicles bought from USA. I've also heard of owners doing the TSB 0041-13 repairs and problem return shortly, so I'm been very careful. any further advise?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
So had you been using the Mobil1 5W-20 prior to the change when the rattle started? If not, what was the oil before?

Was it an occasional rattle, and then eventually become more frequent over several weeks, or did it start happening daily and after a few hours rest immediately after the change?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used castrol 5w-20 before switching to Mobil 1 5W-20 and the noise was never until oil change.

The rattle noise happens daily on every cold start and also when the vehicle sits for a while (say 4 to 5 hours).

I went to the service centre and to pick up the vehicle yesterday and I noticed another problem which was never there before. A humming noise that increases in intensity as the engine rises. could they have damaged my transmission pump when trying to remove the oil pump, because the service manager told me they were looking at the oil pump after dropping the oil pan, which I was very unhappy about. and now this humming noise has got me going nuts!!!

Is there any possible that it could be damaged?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Well, it's highly doubtful the cold start rattle is due to the type of oil, just thought I would check if it was a radical change of viscosity. My first thought would be to switch back to your previous oil. My second thought is your mechanic has screwed something up, especially if it occurred immediately after the oil change work was done. However, your description of the rattle seems consistent with what others have reported. Here is a link to an earlier TSB-146-10, cold start rattle, and it has some responses you should read. Many just say live with it, if it is out of warranty:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/106-4-3-tsbs/87330-t-sb-0146-10-brief-engine-knock-rattle-noise-cold-startup-1ar-2ar-06-09-2010-a.html

There are some other posts, even for the new gen RAV regarding cold rattles in the 2AR engine. There are several examples of the rattle noise on the internet, some of them on this forum. Do a search for them and compare your rattle noise. And if possible, record a video of your noise and link it here to confirm. There are other problems could cause the noise.

For your second problem, again, a video demonstrating the type of noise would help, have no ideas on that one. Try to isolate where the noise is coming from, is it possible to be coming from the rear differential area? It might be worth it to post a new question here on the forum if it is unrelated to the first problem. Sorry I can't be of much help.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
In some cases Mobil 1 does indeed cause start up noise/ticking for a few seconds, it is not uncommon. Go back to Castrol and see if it still does it. No clue on the humming noise.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I don't know what oil spec is recommended for your model in your country, but I would try going thicker.
I'm guessing Nigeria is quite hot, so you should be able to use at least 10W30.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your responses. I still have the rattle noise on cold starts, but I've decided to live with it due to repair cost and also no guarantee if it would stop the rattling sound eventually. As for the deep humming sound that came as a result of trying to resolve the rattling sound, it has been fixed by another dealer. Apparently while troubleshooting, they opened up the oil pan and took out the balance shaft which caused a deep humming sound as if the exhaust was leaking. However it has bee corrected and my vehicle is back with it's normal sound much quieter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for all your responses. I still have the rattle noise on cold starts, but I've decided to live with it due to repair cost and also no guarantee if it would stop the rattling sound eventually. As for the deep humming sound that came as a result of trying to resolve the rattling sound, it has been fixed by another dealer. Apparently while troubleshooting, they opened up the oil pan and took out the balance shaft which caused a deep humming sound as if the exhaust was leaking. However it has bee corrected and my vehicle is back with it's normal sound much quieter.
FWIW i had 'the rattle' on pretty much every cold startup (V6). I changed to a thicker oil for one service interval which seemed to stop it mostly. I then switched back to the recommended weight oil and put an oil treatment through as well. It rattled for about the first 5 cold starts after I did this, but then hasn't really done it since (5 or so months). I'd say i get maybe one rattle a month.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
The 'rattle' probably bothers you more than it bothers the engine. Our impression of what's happening has nothing to do with what the engine is experiencing. And Toyota engines are not the only ones that do it. Ask any Toyota owner with close to 200,000 miles on the engine with 'rattle' starts.

Relax.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The 'rattle' probably bothers you more than it bothers the engine. Our impression of what's happening has nothing to do with what the engine is experiencing. And Toyota engines are not the only ones that do it. Ask any Toyota owner with close to 200,000 miles on the engine with 'rattle' starts.

Relax.
Agree. I had a 96 Maxima that did that for the first 300,000 miles or so. The car started to fall apart, but the engine ran like a watch!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts