Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 2008 rav sport with 104k mileage for $8200 incl taxes, registration. Car is in good condition bit noisy though on highway . Might be too late to ask was that a good deal. What can i do immediately and long run to make sure it last at least 180k.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Be warned: the 2006 - 2008 RAV4s with 4 cylinder engines commonly burned LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of oil.

Not all burned oil, and some that burned lots of oil may have had an engine rebuild covered by Toyota so they no longer burn oil.

So check your oil levels OFTEN. At least once a week for a while until you can gauge how much, if any, it burns.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I just bought 2008 rav sport with 104k mileage for $8200 incl taxes, registration. Car is in good condition bit noisy though on highway . Might be too late to ask was that a good deal. What can i do immediately and long run to make sure it last at least 180k.
What DVS said.....
Be aware that RAVs aren't limo quiet to begin with but they are sturdy, well built, reliable vehicles. Perhaps you have noisy tires, but it could also be a drivetrain issue. Owners manual would be a good place to start regarding maintenance.
Good luck and many happy miles!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Use the "Search" box at the upper right side of this page. Type in "oil consumption" and read up on that issue. You are somewhat lucky that your 2008 is still covered by an Enhanced Warranty Toyota offered for the oil burners to fix the engine. It is good from 10 years of the first date the car was put in service or 150,000 miles. You can get it tested at a Toyota dealer before then. But do read up on it.

Also use the Search box with the key words "maintenance schedule." Should give you a lot of ideas how to proceed. There are good step by step procedures on every fluid change, for example, here in this forum.

Also, go to the website Toyota.com/owners and enter you VIN. Once there, click on the "Service History" and see what Toyota dealers have done to your car so far. Also poke around and see what recalls have been done.

Welcome to the forum, hope your car is a winner. Post back when you've searched a few things and let us know what you find out. Lots of folks are 'one and done' posters--it is far more helpful to other newbies if you post again and confirm your findings. It's also helpful to fill out your profile to at least indicate what country/state you are in--location of vehicle affects some of the advice you might receive. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts