Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can buy a tow bar for $220 and my mechanic will fit it. I can get a new one fully fitted for $491.
My mechanic wants to know is a simple install so i can get it done a lot cheaper. or is is it a complicated one requiring everything being pulled out underneath? where by i wouldent get it done much cheaper.
All information welcome.

I am new to RAV4 Forum a few months ago my engine put a rod through the block. but i really love my manual RAV 4 2001 i spent $6000 having a new motor only done 92,000 new clutch new radiator and some other bits and pieces. i love my RAV. I have to go to Perth to pick up some windows and sliding glass door from Perth, None of the Delivery companies will do the job because the stuff is not properly packed. (getting it from a salvage yard) So i gotta get a tow ball put on and collect it myself with a trailer. So i am trying to keep costs down.

·
Super Moderator
10,153 Posts
I moved your thread to the 4.2 forum where you'll likely get more responses.

I've installed hitch receivers on two 4.3s, not your model but they all should be a simple & quick 4-bolt mount.
What takes the time is the wiring and that ranges from just trailer lights with a 4-flat connector to adding a brake controller and live trailer power with a 7-round connector. I've done one of each taking about one and three hours respectively.

So it depends on how much the $500 deal includes and actually the $220 for just the hitch receiver sounds high but that's in USD.

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Since you didn't complete your profile I don't know whether you are in Scotland or Australia (presumably Australia as you quote prices in $) but as Dr. Dyno notes the $220 price which you are paying for the salvaged hitch (tow bar) seems rather high. At least in the U.S. new ones can be had for much less money. I believe that you can install the towing hitch yourself - as Dr. Dyno says it should be a simple four-bolt installation although the threads in the holes into which the bolts must be inserted may need to be cleaned of rust or even re-tapped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just picked up a brand new quality hitch off Amazon for $130. Install is four bolts and about five minutes if you have someone who can hold it for you while you bolt it down. I didn't have any helping hands so it may have taken me ten minutes as I had to prop it up and do a lot of wiggling.

·
Super Moderator
10,153 Posts
I didn't have any helping hands so it may have taken me ten minutes as I had to prop it up and do a lot of wiggling.
Yep, a floor jack or a bunch of blocks or both have to substitute for the hands that would otherwise hold up one side.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can you send me the link for that? I want to get one put on my 4.2 cause the original owner didn't put one on.

I just picked up a brand new quality hitch off Amazon for $130. Install is four bolts and about five minutes if you have someone who can hold it for you while you bolt it down. I didn't have any helping hands so it may have taken me ten minutes as I had to prop it up and do a lot of wiggling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts