Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have noticed recently water leaking on the passenger side whenever I turn the AC on. It gets worse as the AC level is turned higher. Recently, it has also started leaking on the driver side. It's really bad now and it gets the passenger side completely soaked in water. See the video below:

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
The drain tube from your evaporator (the part that gets cold) is clogged.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
a little shot of compressed air from a can up into the tube from under the car usually works.
Not sure I like that method since it blows any debris back up into the system - ready to clog again. Simply poking the end of the tube with a wire usually lets the water wash it out.

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Christ almighty I am not telling him to blast 150 psi and 150cfm up the tube, just a puff of air to dislodge the blockage, and then it should run out with the water in the heater box... but if you want to stick wires up there be my guest.

After you remove the blockage by whatever means you choose, a spray disinfectant discharged in the cowl area where the heater air intake is will kill any mold that may be in there.

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
Christ almighty I am not telling him to blast 150 psi and 150cfm up the tube, just a puff of air to dislodge the blockage, and then it should run out with the water in the heater box... but if you want to stick wires up there be my guest.
Actually if you used a very small tube and got it inside the evaporator box before hitting the air it would blow the debris out quite effectively. Certainly the opposite of the guy in the video.

And since you brought it up, Christ is indeed the Almighty, to whom every knee shall bow. Some :D, some :crying.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
My experience with this exact problem: on the trip home from a vacation, found both passenger and driver side carpets were squishy-wet. Short version...got home, found the drain hose up under the passenger side dash, popped the hose off, jammed it back in fast as water came gushing out, got pan from kitchen and pulled hose off and watched lots of water come out. Since I don't have a compressor, I put the hose in my mouth and blew as hard as I could. After initially resisting the pressure, the blockage blew out the bottom of the hose. Never found out what it was. Then the real fun began as I removed all the trim parts, soaked carpets and insulation pads and put heat lamps and fans around to dry it out. Thankfully we had a couple days of dry sunshine. Put everything back together and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I tried blowing a little compressed air down the pipe from underneath the car but nothing came out. Then I basically took the carpet out (see below) and I am fairly confident that the picture has the ac drain. There was nothing inside of it, unless that's not the AC drain and I am an idiot:

I also noticed another pipe (The arrow is pointing towards it, the first pic) on the side of the door when I took the panel off of it, what exactly is that pipe?

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
That clear tube alongside the door probably goes to the washer nozzle for the back glass.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
So I tried blowing a little compressed air down the pipe from underneath the car but nothing came out. Then I basically took the carpet out (see below) and I am fairly confident that the picture has the ac drain. There was nothing inside of it, unless that's not the AC drain and I am an idiot:

I also noticed another pipe (The arrow is pointing towards it, the first pic) on the side of the door when I took the panel off of it, what exactly is that pipe?
Pic 2&3 is definitely the AC drain hose. Did you try removing the top of the hose where it goes into the heater/AC box?

·
Super Moderator
10,209 Posts
Pic 2&3 is definitely the AC drain hose. Did you try removing the top of the hose where it goes into the heater/AC box?
Agreed, that is the drain hose. I wonder if the upper end could have become detached from the evaporator housing. Anyway that's the next place to investigate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts