Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Hope some have some insight for me. I have a Rav 4 LE FWD 2016 with only 6000 miles on it. I bought it new. Over the last 2 months, I get a howling, humming -- like an echo (sound that is very faint at 30 mph but gets louder at 40-50 and then 60 mph driving.) It stays the same pitch but increases in volume the more I accelerate.

Also now I get the same sound when I brake every time! I brake very gently and can hear the sound at the same pitch.

Car alignment seems fine as there is no pull to right or left. Rode up and down a very long street that curves right and then left and then right again. I can hear the howling when I am steering right.

Went to the dealer and he said he didn't hear anything. I asked him to put the car on a lift and check out the bearings but he said that he cant do that - because Toyota would deny any claim and not pay him if he had to work that hard to find the issue.

Asked to drive another Rav 4 and he did give me the same exact model with 12000 miles on it (that they were selling). Went with one of the valets and drove the car over 30 minutes down the same roads I usually go and did NOT hear any of a the howling braking or driving.

Dealer said he could do an engine test and did which was positive. Finally, he did say that he heard the sound a little. Dealer suggested if it is too bothersome, he could take me over to sales and get something else.

The noise will continue to get worse, I am sure. This is a J vin car, I specifically picked it out because the final assembly was in Japan. But the noise is progressing and driving me crazy. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sounds like air buffeting over/through something. Do you have roof rack crossbars? Check front panels and underbody for any loose parts. I highly doubt a wheel bearing is worn at 6,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a 2015 Rav 4- 4x4. At around 5,00 miles I had noises and pulsating brake when applying brakes, I took it to the dealer and they resurface the rotters front and rear. It got rid of the pulsating brakes, but then I had a weird noise coming from the front brakes when applying brakes very loud and sometimes lightly when just driving. Since there is always some pressure all the time with disc brakes it made sense. They then replaced the front rotors with new and that took care of it. Perfect now. It sure sounds like it could be the brakes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the posts everyone! It may be the air buffeting over/through something. It is an echo like sound. I don't have roof racks except for the ones that came with the car. J-Roc, it is different than your issue. It is a low pitch sound, On a pitch pipe, it is a G# (below middle C) and never changes pitch. It occurs at 30, 40 50 60 70 ---, not just at a certain interval. If it were the transmission whine, I guess the dealer will not do anything right? It doesn't mean the transmission is faulty, is that correct? Thanks!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks for the posts everyone! If it were the transmission whine, I guess the dealer will not do anything right? It doesn't mean the transmission is faulty, is that correct? Thanks!

Yep. Transmission is covered for 5 years. Brought it to the dealers attention on the first service.
Said they could replace it now, or anytime in the warranty period.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts