Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick but hard question for you guys, What compression should the RAV 4 make in PSI with 70K miles on the clock.

As I have done a compression test on mine and it is only making 130 PSI on 3 pistions and 140 on the other, it does get a bit better if I put some oil on the pistion eg it goes up by about 10 PSI.

Thanks for any help. :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hexagon,
I don't have my manual handy, but those numbers don't sound too bad. The thing I look for when doing a compression test is that all the cylinders are within 10% of each other...so that seems ok to me...was this done cold or hot?

Now, why did you do the test? Is there something you are trying to diagnose?

Bogatyr

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was doing the test as the rav seems to feel a bit low on power, does not seem to want to pull at the higher speeds.
It also seems to be low on the MPG only getting about 24mpg.
My parents have a 2.0 VW that has a compression of 210PSI and its done 120K miles, so it made me a bit worried when the RAV came in at 130PSI.

Thanks for the info Bogatyr, it has saved me a lot of time as I was going to pull the engine out at Xmas and fit new pistion rings.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hexagon,
Hmm, just took a look at the manual and it stated that the design pressure is 185 :shock: with a minimum of 135, and no more than 14psi fluctuation...
So, yeah, there might be a problem there...sorry for my first uninformed post then...

Bogatyr

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it say in the owners handbook as I looked and could not find out.

Looks like my engine is low then, so guess it will have to come and have some time and money spent on it.. :cry:

Rob

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be sure engine is at normal operating temperature and that your compression gauge is fully seated. Although adding oil and getting higher readings would indicate rings to be the problem, the rubber-plug type and threaded- type guages can leak without it being obvious.

Int./Exh. valve seating should be tested if you do go the ring route.

Herb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts