Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of the people here, I was seriously disappointed to learn that the 2019 RAV4 didn't have any Android Auto. When purchasing the vehicle, the dealer kept hinting that his feature may become available in the future, but as time goes on, it seems less of a hope and more of a marketing gimmick. This is evidenced by some discussions on reddit and other threads here. Since this is my first post, I can't seem to attach any links.

This along with further disappointments in the whole Entune 3.0 platform, I started looking into an after market digital media receiver for the car. There seem to be many different options, but Sony seems to make the only one that doesn't ruin the interior of the car (with random colored lights and oddly shaped curves). On top of that, unlike many others, Sony has brand recognition and I've used their products before without much issue.

I can't seem to find any attempts by anyone to try and install this device into a RAV4. Has any one tried? Has anyone tried installing any of the other XAV devices (eg. ax7000, ax5000, ax1000, etc)? If so, do all of the critical functions work (eg rearview backup, call microphone, speaker sound quality, compatibility with the circuit output, etc)?

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Premium Member
7,842 Posts
Use the advanced search in the site menu top right, the Sony has been discussed before, newbies can't post links to prevent spam.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My guess is the if Toyota will make Android an update for 2019s in the U.S. it would be after all 2019s left over are sold. I would say that if we do not have the update by March 2020, it is not going to happen.

Just curious, if you are exploring spending hundreds of dollars on a new head unit, why not switch to an iPhone so you can use CarPlay? That's what I am planning to do in a year or so if Andriod Auto is not available,

As many of the people here, I was seriously disappointed to learn that the 2019 RAV4 didn't have any Android Auto. When purchasing the vehicle, the dealer kept hinting that his feature may become available in the future, but as time goes on, it seems less of a hope and more of a marketing gimmick. This is evidenced by some discussions on reddit and other threads here. Since this is my first post, I can't seem to attach any links.

This along with further disappointments in the whole Entune 3.0 platform, I started looking into an after market digital media receiver for the car. There seem to be many different options, but Sony seems to make the only one that doesn't ruin the interior of the car (with random colored lights and oddly shaped curves). On top of that, unlike many others, Sony has brand recognition and I've used their products before without much issue.

I can't seem to find any attempts by anyone to try and install this device into a RAV4. Has any one tried? Has anyone tried installing any of the other XAV devices (eg. ax7000, ax5000, ax1000, etc)? If so, do all of the critical functions work (eg rearview backup, call microphone, speaker sound quality, compatibility with the circuit output, etc)?

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My guess is the if Toyota will make Android an update for 2019s in the U.S. it would be after all 2019s left over are sold. I would say that if we do not have the update by March 2020, it is not going to happen.
That would be great. Although, from the reddit posts, some individuals have posted that it's not in the pipeline to be retrofitted currently. Maybe it'll change?

Just curious, if you are exploring spending hundreds of dollars on a new head unit, why not switch to an iPhone so you can use CarPlay? That's what I am planning to do in a year or so if Andriod Auto is not available
I guess I'm just weighing my options.

My wife has an iPhone so it's not an issue when we're both in the car. But the frustration that Android is lacking just makes me want to rebel against the OEM - so that probably justifies it for me to consider other options. We can go into a whole Android/iPhone debate, but in reality there are other factors why I would prefer an Android system and it would be nice if I didn't have to add yet another variable in terms of having to decide on what phone OS to use.

There are other benefits to consider with another head unit though: faster startup, larger screen, play youtube in the background to simply listen into podcasts, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i went from android to apple because of the Rav4 and to be honest im completely happy with IOS now. Its improved dramatically since the days of side by side feature comparison with android.

Im getting older w/ kids and customisation with roms,bootloaders ,widgets no longer interest me at all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts